• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

article-0-1252A0D0000005DC-884_468x326.jpg

Looks like he needs to bulk up if he wants to be powerful enough for Kenny Jackett.

If we're really following the WBA/Ashworth model then Thelwell and his recruitment team should make contingency plans for the loss of best players. Especially after the Norwich situation in the summer.

surely if the club are not lying to us and Afobe has been regularly demanding a move then the club would have anticipated this and will have two suitable replacements already lined up ?

Surely ?

That is how u run a football club.

Sorry Ive just woken up and realised I support Wolves

Do you mean like we did with Sako?

On Cummings, my mrs' dad is a Rangers season ticket holder and when they were down over Christmas we watched the Rangers/Hibs game in which Cummings opened the scoring. I thought he looked a little bit lightweight but was very skilful and stood out for them. He tired badly in the second half (along with most of the Hibs team), so question marks might be asked on whether he'd be physically ready to lead the line for a Championship club, but only time will tell.

I don't think Hibs will want to sell either, but money talks.

If we're really following the WBA/Ashworth model then Thelwell and his recruitment team should make contingency plans for the loss of best players. Especially after the Norwich situation in the summer.

Only thing I can say in their defence is that it might've been made harder to plan ahead with the ownership situation as it is (in regards to transfer budgets etc).

Only thing I can say in their defence is that it might've been made harder to plan ahead with the ownership situation as it is (in regards to transfer budgets etc).

That's true. I wonder if that had any implication on bringing in a replacement for Sako too: I recall Moxey commenting about expense.

I'm sort of hoping (probably falsely) that a decent portion of the Afobe fee (£4-5m) will be used for a replacement.

To counter the Sako argument. We knew Griffiths was off and had his replacement sorted.

His replacement scored 2 against us the month before though and had already played for us

To counter the Sako argument. We knew Griffiths was off and had his replacement sorted.

I don't think anybody argues with our recruitment in Lg1 but when we got back into the Championship Jackett and Thelwell have been badly found out.

I don't think anybody argues with our recruitment in Lg1 but when we got back into the Championship Jackett and Thelwell have been badly found out.
Not saying otherwise. Just offering the other side of the coin for the debate.

I do wonder what targets have been identified but rejected due to costs though.

I don't know - apart from Sagbo, Holt and Graham (Danny) I'm struggling to think of anyone inherently shocking? And all of those were loan signings.

Edit: I suppose Tommy Rowe if we want to be harsh...

I don't know - apart from Sagbo, Holt and Graham (Danny) I'm struggling to think of anyone inherently shocking? And all of those were loan signings.

Edit: I suppose Tommy Rowe if we want to be harsh...

I would say Rowe qualifies, such a pointless footballer.

Ken watched Jordan Graham every day in training for six months and then decided Sheyi Ojo was a better option.

I haven't written off any of Saville, Wallace or Byrne but the manager blatantly has no idea how to use any of them.

Conor Coady was about £1.8m overpriced.

Saville
Rowe
Van La Parra
Wallace
Byrne
None of whom are first team regulars, maybe not shocking but all thus far little impact

Someone offer me a price on this thread getting to page 100 without another signing being made...

No way, Cyber! I was hoping for about 16/1... Surely there must be a signing soon - unless Zac Clough turns us down for Bristol City, which could see another 30 pages. No, no, I have complete confidence in Jackett and Thelwell and a coherent and ambitious recruitment strategy (nurse increases medication...)

Wouldn't think he'd be available. Kermorgant maybe, but I'd rather not bother with him.

Also we'd only be able to get Murray on loan as he's played for both Palace and Bournemouth this season.

£8m for Lewis Grabban!

Would have to think some of that is made up of money that Norwich still owed them.

Back