• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

Wasn't likely to get much time at Newcastle and appeared to fit in well here & enjoy the few games he had - clearly improved us & our organisation at the back

Assume that we are likely to offer at least a 2 year contract as we will almost certainly still be a Championship side next season. As to wages, he's got more experience than most if not all of our squad so paying him towards the top end of our range is not unreasonable. However much less that is compared to what he is on at Newcastle he may see as acceptable given that he will at least play competitive football during what is likely to be the last few years of his playing career.

Just looked at the remaining fixtures. I reckon 41 points. 12 wins 5 draws 4 defeats. 75 points for the season on a fair wind and a good day!

Alan Nixon who is fairly reliable says Derby want Afobe. I'd be surprised if he went to another Championship club to be honest irrespective of how much they'll pay. If we could get £10m and at least £7m of it could be reinvested I think I'd take it.

Alan Nixon who is fairly reliable says Derby want Afobe. I'd be surprised if he went to another Championship club to be honest irrespective of how much they'll pay. If we could get £10m and at least £7m of it could be reinvested I think I'd take it.

And replace him with who ? Your not going to get anybody remotely near Afobe in this window. All that sale would do would rile the fans even more to the point of Molineux becoming a blood bath. I wouldn't be happy and neither would the Early Bird count.

No chance of him going to Derby.

If I was him/us, it would have to be a reasonable Prem club at this point in his career, with a huge transfer fee otherwise not much point either way

To Quirk. A new centre half, left back, forward and outlandishly a number 10 that would be picked and isn't Dave Edwards. Afobe will be gone in the Summer anyway and there is no guarantee what we could get for him then, could be more but maybe not. If invested correctly, which is a massive IF we could be a better team without Benik than with him, although we invariably won't have as good a forward as him. I don't think it'll happen anyway, as I don't see him staying in the Championship or going to a club in relegation danger in the Prem. So unless a Palace/Watford/Albion come in for him, I think he'll stay.

And replace him with who ? Your not going to get anybody remotely near Afobe in this window. All that sale would do would rile the fans even more to the point of Molineux becoming a blood bath. I wouldn't be happy and neither would the Early Bird count.
Afobe was bought mid season, why couldn't that be the case for a replacement?

A new centre half, left back, forward and outlandishly a number 10 that would be picked and isn't Dave Edwards. Afobe will be gone in the Summer anyway and there is no guarantee what we could get for him then, could be more but maybe not. If invested correctly, which is a massive IF we could be a better team without Benik than with him.
Well logically you'll sell him in the summer when a) We know we've missed out b) Enough time to look for a goalscorer. Selling him now would be fucking nuts.

To Quirk. A new centre half, left back, forward and outlandishly a number 10 that would be picked and isn't Dave Edwards. Afobe will be gone in the Summer anyway and there is no guarantee what we could get for him then, could be more but maybe not. If invested correctly, which is a massive IF we could be a better team without Benik than with him, although we invariably won't have as good a forward as him. I don't think it'll happen anyway, as I don't see him staying in the Championship or going to a club in relegation danger in the Prem. So unless a Palace/Watford/Albion come in for him, I think he'll stay.

A nice thought but if we did sell Afobe there's no way that the fee would be reinvested in the playing squad. The transfer budget would stay the same.

Well logically you'll sell him in the summer when a) We know we've missed out b) Enough time to look for a goalscorer. Selling him now would be $#@!ing nuts.
With the current squad or at least how that squad is being utilised we will miss out this year. I'd be surprised if anyone thinks we will make the play offs this year as things stand. Add 4 quality players whilst losing one increases our chances in my view, but as I say I don't think it will happen.

A nice thought but if we did sell Afobe there's no way that the fee would be reinvested in the playing squad. The transfer budget would stay the same.
Unfortunately, I think your right which is why I said I'd only sell on the condition it was made available

With the current squad or at least how that squad is being utilised we will miss out this year. I'd be surprised if anyone thinks we will make the play offs this year as things stand. Add 4 quality players whilst losing one increases our chances in my view, but as I say I don't think it will happen.

Cant remember the last time we've signed 4 players in January, was it perhaps McGhee's ill fated last day of the window when we brought in Claridge, Slater and two others I cant quite remember. Id hope that we are still a little more proactive in getting in players without the need for selling Afobe.

Back