• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

If we end up with Afobe and that's it I'll be very disappointed. Two or three more players and we could have been right up there this year. As has been written elsewhere, very doubtful that next year's championship will be as easy to get promoted from.

We have Afobe and I expect that it is it

Another opportunity missed

If our main targets don't/won't come to us, for whatever reason, would you just be happier if we bought any four players in every window? Or should we only buy the best to suit our needs?

If our main targets don't/won't come to us, for whatever reason, would you just be happier if we bought any four players in every window? Or should we only buy the best to suit our needs?

I keep seeing this but you can only use that argument so often. The recruitment on the whole this season hasn't been good enough for one reason or another, obviously it's not that easy to just go out and buy players but we have a real chance at promotion and it would increase with investment in the squad. There are players out there and at the moment i would say the recruitment and identification of players we need is not where it should be.

I keep seeing this but you can only use that argument so often. The recruitment on the whole this season hasn't been good enough for one reason or another, obviously it's not that easy to just go out and buy players but we have a real chance at promotion and it would increase with investment in the squad. There are players out there and at the moment i would say the recruitment and identification of players we need is not where it should be.

I would agree with this - I highly doubt that it's due to lack of ambition, that suggests that we haven't been trying at all! More likely is that we have been trying but have consistently failed in landing our targets and that is a big problem! The solution to this problem isn't obvious though but since we do have a chance at promotion we're hardly an unattractive prospect

If you continually miss out on your targets (assuming speculation is correct) then you need to either reassess your targets or your budgets. I do agree that we shouldn't just sign anyone to fill the squad out, we have enough players who can do a job for a few games, but it appears we are either being unrealistic in who we want to sign or what we can pay them. A proper number 10 could well be the difference between us making the play offs or not, it's a shame we aren't going to get one, nor have we been particularly linked with one either.

I would expect with Thelwell and his scouting team we just might have more than one target

Let's be honest we can all make excuses but we could have written the end result before the window opened.....we do it EVERY year

If you continually miss out on your targets (assuming speculation is correct) then you need to either reassess your targets or your budgets. I do agree that we shouldn't just sign anyone to fill the squad out, we have enough players who can do a job for a few games, but it appears we are either being unrealistic in who we want to sign or what we can pay them. A proper number 10 could well be the difference between us making the play offs or not, it's a shame we aren't going to get one, nor have we been particularly linked with one either.

This in Spades

A proper number ten and a midfield general could see us promoted. No guarantees but greatly increases our chances

Not to say that the squad can't or shouldn't be improved on, but we have a sizeable section of support that perpetually believes the squad is at least two players short and always wants another £2-5m spent, whatever the club do. It wears very thin.

Given that we still have £70k a week bleeding out of the club in Doyle and Johnson we are restricted in what we can do. Pretty much everyone would have targeted a striker to compete with Dicko and cover for any of his absences properly - and we got one, a player who didn't come cheap and will hopefully serve the club well for many years to come. I find it very disappointing that the club acted sharply to get this done yet it somehow gets glossed over - even though it was clearly the most pressing need and we sorted it out. Doubtless had Afobe signed for someone else we'd never hear the end of it.

You always want to improve your team (in any position mind), but it's always the case at any club that fans want new signings. It can be exciting and a fresh face can have a positive contrbution. Equally, your manager could be Dean Saunders who will try to sign players but will be absolute guff.

If we don't go up, Sako, Doyle and Johnson will be off the wage bill and there will be real room to bring in a few fresh faces. That said, this is a young team and if we don't go up this year they will all have gained experience and be better players for it. Iorfa, Hause, Evans, Price, Dicko and even van la Parra are young players who if we can keep hold of are going to be brilliant for us.

Absolutely agree with you deutsch, the Afobe signing was the most important one, and was well filled, he's an excellent signing. I do think an Edwards replacement is pretty damn close in terms of importance though, I'd be very disappointed if we spend the rest of the season with him at number 10.

If we are surprised with an attacking midfielder tomorrow who can come in and compete for the no.10 shirt, I'll be delighted. I highly doubt we'll see anyone though unless something can be thrashed out for Zyro.

Not to say that the squad can't or shouldn't be improved on, but we have a sizeable section of support that perpetually believes the squad is at least two players short and always wants another £2-5m spent, whatever the club do. It wears very thin.

Given that we still have £70k a week bleeding out of the club in Doyle and Johnson we are restricted in what we can do. Pretty much everyone would have targeted a striker to compete with Dicko and cover for any of his absences properly - and we got one, a player who didn't come cheap and will hopefully serve the club well for many years to come. I find it very disappointing that the club acted sharply to get this done yet it somehow gets glossed over - even though it was clearly the most pressing need and we sorted it out. Doubtless had Afobe signed for someone else we'd never hear the end of it.

Agree with this, I think we ideally want one more player to improve our attacking play (particularly centrally) but by signing Afobe and keeping our best players at he club I don't think we can call it an unsuccessful window.

I still think Jacobs needs a chance but as he hasn't come on in the last 3 games when we've struggled then he never will.

Jackett said no more "unless the phone rings". That could mean unless someone makes an offer for one if our players and/or we've made offers and now it is up to the club/player to accept.

I wouldn't put it past us getting someone tomorrow but I'm not expecting anything, could see a loan in a few weeks if we're struggling

Back