• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

Olivier Giroud will not sign for Wolves. More chance of us resurrecting the Tammy Abraham deal

If we were to sign Giroud he would only come here with a pretty hard guarantee that he starts most games. Which would mean Raul or Jota don't play.

I mean I think Giroud is great, with possibly the best hair game in football. But not sure I would want him displacing two long term prospects.

This pretty much, but I am not going to complain if we did sign Giroud as he would be quality.

Someone like Giroud would be perfect.

Could partner him with Jimenez on a game where you felt a more physical pairing up top might be beneficial, could even play Jota behind the pair of them if you wanted a particularly attacking version of that formation, or he could just as easily provide an alternative to Jimenez in his role should be not be available or need resting for any reason. I can't see it happening though personally, why would he swap Chelsea's bench for one at Molineux?

Someone like Giroud would be perfect.

Could partner him with Jimenez on a game where you felt a more physical pairing up top might be beneficial, could even play Jota behind the pair of them if you wanted a particularly attacking version of that formation, or he could just as easily provide an alternative to Jimenez in his role should be not be available or need resting for any reason. I can't see it happening though personally, why would he swap Chelsea's bench for one at Molineux?

You're right Mark. Jota and Raul could split time as the man behind the front 2 as their work rate is exceptional.

After watching Giroud against Tottenham last week, no thank you.

After watching Giroud against Tottenham last week, no thank you.
You can't base an opinion on a player from 1 game. If we did that, after watching Raul v Cardiff I wouldn't want him anywhere near the team.

Giroud isn't coming to Wolves but... If Nuno went back to his front 3, imagine Raul on the right, Jota on the left and Giroud in the middle

Non starter for me. Not guaranteed to play every week. He will be on massive wages. And he's unlikely to want to sign for us in the summer as there will be plenty of teams qualified for Europe lining up to sign him.

You're right Mark. Jota and Raul could split time as the man behind the front 2 as their work rate is exceptional.

I had similar thoughts when the link to Abraham was around, he'd give you that same flexibility when playing two up front to use Jota in behind the pair but he wouldn't provide anything like the physical presence of Giroud and wouldn't really be much of an understudy for Jimenez in either formation so wouldn't have been as useful in my eyes. I think that's definitely a better way to go in order to boost the front line though, a more conventional forward who can at least make a first of performing the central role when utilising the front three, it will provide options for both formations rather than just trying to upgrade any of Costa, Cavaleiro or Traore when their position becomes non-existent in the other formation anyway.

You can't base an opinion on a player from 1 game. If we did that, after watching Raul v Cardiff I wouldn't want him anywhere near the team.

Why is it that he doesn't start many games for Chelsea and didn't for Arsenal.

Why is it that he doesn't start many games for Chelsea and didn't for Arsenal.

Bit of a difference between Giroud being competition for Raul and Jota and competing with PEA, Lacazette and Morata/ Higuian.

No matter how good our front two are they aren't as good as those players (well maybe Morata but then he did come with a decent reputation and a hefty price tag).

Wasn't he generally first choice up front for Arsenal in the period between Van Persie and Aubameyang? Other than the odd period of Sanchez playing centrally I can't really remember anyone ousting him.

And got 15-20 goals pretty much every season ?

to suggest giroud can't bring anything to the team is laughable

Doherty and Jonny will start on Tuesday.
Cheers, Nuno.

Personally I think we'll see Vinny start and his instruction will be to get forward at PabZab as much as possible. Anderson on the other side is probably their most in form player, so it makes sense to have the more defensively minded Jonny on the right to keep an eye on him.
Cough

Post on the wolves West Ham Twitter thread saying that Tielemans wants to leave Monaco and Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, us and Newcastle are interested...

I thought Leicester were heavily linked with him yesterday?

After watching that, its a total no brainer signing Jonny for £18m. Superb all game.

Back