• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Squad 2015/16

Doesn't matter what the score is. I think wolves play entertaining football. (Apart from out recent blip) even if we're hanging on by the skin of our teeth at 1-0 it can still be entertaining. I've seen some great 0-0's. Although i never believed in setting out for a draw. Each game is there for the winning. You could be 3-0 up watching a Pulis/Allerdyce side and still be watching shite football.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Would people complain more if we won 1-0 for 5 games and drew 10 games 0-0 or won 8 games 3-2 and lost 7 games 3-2 (yes we would have 1 point less).

Wouldn't you rather be entertained rather than bored?

Just to extend the rather meaningless hypothatical discussion, if we kept 15 clean sheets but only won 5 then we'd need to focus our attention on sorting out other weaknesses.

Deslandes is a left sided defender but that's not looking too bad...

Just to extend the rather meaningless hypothatical discussion, if we kept 15 clean sheets but only won 5 then we'd need to focus our attention on sorting out other weaknesses.

Setting up to defend first tends to be to the detriment of attack.

It also tends to win titles.

1-0 to the Arsenal - Champions
5-4 Keegan ball and Newcastle blew a massive lead to lose the title.

It also tends to win titles.

1-0 to the Arsenal - Champions
5-4 Keegan ball and Newcastle blew a massive lead to lose the title.

There's no guarantee that defensive football wins you Championships ask Gary Megson so when results fade you have very little to fall back on. If you do go the Kevin Keegan route you remember those days fondly even with no silverware to call your own. Keegan would still be given management opportunities within English football would the likes of Megson?

True. However, it is usually the case that good teams are built on a solid defence. How many did Barcelona concede?

True. However, it is usually the case that good teams are built on a solid defence. How many did Barcelona concede?

I thought Barcelona had one of the better defensive records in Europe, they are certainly the best at defending from the front as a team.

Kenny has always built his teams on a solid back 4.

Man Utd and Liverpool both produced very attacking teams to win their titles. Barcelona and Real Madrid have arguable the best attacks in the world, neither team is really based on defence first. It's all about mindset.

Newcastle lost their title due to having a tactical pygmy in charge nothing to do with all out attack. Ferguson was different class and took him apart mentally, again nothing to do with attack as Man Utd scored more than Newcastle that year (and the previous 2). They did however have a lot of clean sheets too.

There's no reason why we can't have a good defensive record with the players we have. It is the goalkeepers' (plural) fault that we've been leaky so far.

Barcelona and their ilk are surely not fit for such comparisons, given their talent level.

Our squad moving forward

ed4941e73328fe517bbf4bede331c922.jpg

IMO we have loads of options and flexibility moving forward now. I Could of put Edwards everywhere but kept him where id prefer. Could of gone 4-4-2 or even 4-2-2-2 with Afobe and Alf up top. Was unsure on Byrne if he plays down the right or left? What are your thoughts people?

Deslandes is a left back, Edwards should be competing for *just* the advanced CM role with Wallace and Byrne competing for the right winger spot with Henry. Personally unless we have a massive injury crisis we'll see next to nothing of VLP, I think he's done here now.

Edwards towards the base of the midfielder is, was and always will be a car wreck.

Barcelona and their ilk are surely not fit for such comparisons, given their talent level.

Even when signing defenders Barcelona probably look for a different skill set than most other clubs. Many others wouldn't look for such intelligence and quality on the ball.

Equally, Wolves aren't pitting themselves against the same level of opposition, it's all relative.

Setting up to defend first tends to be to the detriment of attack.

Well, that's a maybe, but my point was more that if we had 15 clean sheets I'd have expected us to win more than five of 'em.

Deslandes is a left back, Edwards should be competing for *just* the advanced CM role with Wallace and Byrne competing for the right winger spot with Henry. Personally unless we have a massive injury crisis we'll see next to nothing of VLP, I think he's done here now.

Edwards towards the base of the midfielder is, was and always will be a car wreck.
Updated Deslandes. This is more the set up id like to see. Edwards could end up anywhere if were honest. Not my selection just predictions of we may see players throughout he season. Not sure which side Graham plays either. Not seen him as of yet. Doesn't look like i will anytime soon either.

30a1c8dc3d779eaa5a71c7dc16d33957.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1441368275391.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1441368275391.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 16
Back