• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, the much loved Terry Venables Christmas Tree formation.
Think it was Sheringham and Beardsley behind Shearer? All pre-Euro 96.

Problem was he never had the full backs to make it work. A very old Stuart Pearce and G-Nev who was a 4-4-2 RB. Plus Shearer was always better with a proper partner.

The realest Christmas Tree is the 3-4-2-1 we played for a bit under Nuno. Not sure if we ever started in that formation but definitely have memory of us playing in that shape at some point pre-COVID.

The realest Christmas Tree is the 3-4-2-1 we played for a bit under Nuno. Not sure if we ever started in that formation but definitely have memory of us playing in that shape at some point pre-COVID.
Southampton away when we were appalling first half then he put Adama and Neto behind Raul and it worked brilliantly

Think it was Sheringham and Beardsley behind Shearer? All pre-Euro 96.

Problem was he never had the full backs to make it work. A very old Stuart Pearce and G-Nev who was a 4-4-2 RB. Plus Shearer was always better with a proper partner.
It was. The first side TV sent out was

Seaman

Parker Pallister Adams Le Saux

Platt Gascoigne Ince

Anderton Beardsley

Shearer

It didn't last too long because of the full back reasons you mention I imagine. But it was a new formation I'd never seen before, and seemed revolutionary after Taylor's "can we not hit it" 442 disasters.

But it was a new formation I'd never seen before, and seemed revolutionary after Taylor's "can we not hit it" 442 disasters.
Our team in the infamous Norway away game was er, something.

-----------------------Woods--------------------------

-----------Walker--------Adams-------Pallister----------

Dixon-------Palmer-----Platt-----Gascoigne-------Sharpe

-----------------Ferdinand------Sheringham-------------

Go Les, hit Les, demand it. FACKING ELL.

AFAIK Lopetegui has previously liked his full-backs providing all the width. So 4-3-2-1 wouldn't be a surprise. Though his main two formations have always been 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

I lack all context for this but imagining it in Neil Warnock's voice worked a treat.
Oh, I can give you chapter and verse on this. It's the most incredible football documentary ever made on so many different levels.

I think I've watched it over 100 times now.

AFAIK Lopetegui has previously liked his full-backs providing all the width. So 4-3-2-1 wouldn't be a surprise. Though his main two formations have always been 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.
Think you're right, the issue is/will be whether or not Semedo and Bueno/the other FBs can execute effectively. As I said above, they could be those players but it's a big gamble (having mobile CMs helps, of course).

Latty Daddy likes for Charlotte to play the same way Manchester City do, doesn't make it a good idea.

Graham Taylor starring in a spoof version of Mike Bassett: England Manager

Side note: after the match against Canada last night, my jokes about taking Matty Turner from Arsenal are much less jokey.

He would at least improve our PK save percentage!

Side note: after the match against Canada last night, my jokes about taking Matty Turner from Arsenal are much less jokey.

He would at least improve our PK save percentage!
Don't ya know, Sa was the joint best penalty saver in the league last season!

(With 2, :ROFLMAO: )

Don't ya know, Sa was the joint best penalty saver in the league last season!

(With 2, :ROFLMAO: )
If this wasn't true I'm sure you wouldn't have posted it... But...

It can't be, can it? Fucking hell.

Of note: Turner matched that number just last night! Granted, during a shootout, but still.

1689002774652.png

Think we conceded 4?

Not sure what Newcastle and Forest conceded but will check...

EDIT:
Forest 9 but no idea how many Henderson faced as he got crocked
Newcastle 5

Sa. Solid

Previous season he was shit at pens though and never looked like getting near one. In Greece he was pretty sold on pens though

Bazunu technically in 2nd place, stats are shite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back