• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Well obviously, so what is the point?, I don’t get it, the end of cricket as we know it?

1) No County Championship games during the best weather month of the year, makes it impossible for batsmen and spin bowlers to hone their technique on good pitches, in good weather

2) The domestic 50 over game has become a 2nd 11 competition, had a limited impact on our pathetic performance in the last World Cup, but it'll get worse

3) The domestic T20 tournament that was successful has been diminished by pushing it to the margins, yet the quality of the players involved isn't any different to The Hundred

4) It's a format nobody else plays, that they are talking about getting rid of

5) The crowds of both The Hundred and T20 are diminishing, the former because the product hasn't caught on, the latter because it's not promoted how it was

6) The bloke who has promoted it more than anyone else to the detriment of domestic cricket is trying to sell it to his own company.

All that is without criticising the product or the televising of it, the graphics of which appears to be for primary school children

Last edited:
Well obviously, so what is the point?, I don’t get it, the end of cricket as we know it?
No. There’s plenty of love for T20 cricket on here.The hundred isn’t too dissimilar to it however……

1) The hundred is the brainchild of Colin Graves and some idiotic people who saw fit to piss about with a successful format, changed overs from 6 to 5 balls, changed a total of 120 balls in an innings to 100.
2) Pissed off a mighty section of fans of cricket by abandoning the county team structure to a format based around major cities/test grounds.
3) introduced a draft system so that players can appear anywhere each season.
4) Sold it to the public that the world’s best would flock to play in the competition. It’s not happening and never will. England players aren’t even in for a portion of the competition.
5) Left cricket in the ridiculous situation of having a huge proportion of the summer not playing the county championship and and players not playing 50 over competitions. The World Cup is a 50 over competition.

I mean look at tonight’s line ups. There’s a has been Mooen Ali, Southee’s over the hill and Livingstone blows hot but mainly cold. They’re all players who appear in the t20 blast. Nothing to excite anyone away from that competition.

There's absolutely no snobbery on here about T20 - we've all been watching it for over 20 years.

We object to an arbitrary pointless tournament that is actively harming the game.

Fair enough everyone and just for the record I’ve also been watching T20 for years and enjoy that too.
Unfortunately this year it clashed wit the Euro’s.

Fine catch by a man in a Wolves hat in the crowd at Edgbaston.

Followed by Crawley catching Louis off the bowling of Stokes. 125-4

Stokes clearly has a table booked for Sunday lunch. 50 off 24.

Broken Botham's record for fastest England 50 in Tests.

Don't know how I feel about that. Is it a bit piss takey? Not as if Crawley didn't need the time in the middle

Borked his finger so a bit difficult to play
He's got all August to get over it

article-0-16B78273000005DC-193_1024x615_large.jpg

Next door to the cricket, this evening there's a showing of 501 not out with a q&a. Mrs jelly just messaged asking if I know this bloke, as she's booking him in, sorting a dressing room & arranging his meals etc prior to him doing the q&a.
Brian Lara! Wish she'd mentioned this before!

Back