• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Let's be honest, both Henry and RVLP were pretty average last season. The occasional good game and spectacular moment but nowhere near the consistent performances you want in a promotion chasing team. £500k with a year left on his deal and think we paid less than £200k for him so a decent deal. All the best to him if he does go, he was very good in League One for us.

This, but I wouldn't want to sell until we get a replacement. VLP is shit.

Henry not in the squad for Burton, with more sources seemingly backing up the Charlton rumours.

I really hope we've got an imminent arrival because we're now looking very weak in the wide areas. I like Henry and although I'd sell if the offer was acceptable, I agree with those who say we need a replacement first. And that replacement should be better.

I don't know if there's much in it or not but Van La Parra and Price have been left out too so might just be leaving players out who got a good run vs Walsall.

No Jordan Graham? Doesn't seem to be featuring in KJ's thinking very much.

Find the Graham thing a bit odd. Jackett gave an interview earlier in the week saying that the 3 young attacking players we took to France - Ronan, Wilson and Enobakhare are ahead of Graham.

However Graham has stood out in the U21 games i've seen plus these other 3 are 17/18 year olds - so it's not a good sign if players who he has 2 years development on are ahead of him in the managers thoughts.

Find the Graham thing a bit odd. Jackett gave an interview earlier in the week saying that the 3 young attacking players we took to France - Ronan, Wilson and Enobakhare are ahead of Graham.

However Graham has stood out in the U21 games i've seen plus these other 3 are 17/18 year olds - so it's not a good sign if players who he has 2 years development on are ahead of him in the managers thoughts.

It's more the tactics he's trying at the moment that are ruling Graham out I'd say.

That Henry story is buzzing on Twitter. Too much daylight there for me to believe it's just smoke and mirrors. Just an idiotic sale if we're only getting 500k. It's damn difficult to find a player that matches his quality at that price (in any position).

That Henry story is buzzing on Twitter. Too much daylight there for me to believe it's just smoke and mirrors. Just an idiotic sale if we're only getting 500k. It's damn difficult to find a player that matches his quality at that price (in any position).

He is an average Championship level right sided midfielder. There are loads of them. Hopefully there will be a better player takes his place in the squad.

Price is playing for the U21's tomorrow, so I presume he's not 100% yet, just signed a contract to clearly in Kenny's plans. RVLP not playing in either game so must have a knock. Henry not involved tomorrow either, may also have a knock or may be something in the Charlton rumour. If he does go we had better already have an alternative in place rather than hope to. I'm concerned by this diamond formation, just don't think we have the personnel to make it work, I'm going tomorrow so will have a better view in 24 hours

Rather than selling any players, I am hoping we strengthen the squad. As it stands now, a few injuries and we will be struggling.

If we sell Henry before a replacement comes in may have to consider official start of pant-wetting season...

If we sell Henry before a replacement comes in we will have 1 first team winger... That's beyond struggling.

Worryingly, it says at this stage of pre-season we are throwing away a system which worked for us very well in favour of a new system. I would wager none of our squad have played in a diamond before.

Selling our wide men means we will be wedded to this system for the foreseeable too. This is all very odd and not a little bit disconcerting.

To be fair the best part of Wolves 4 man midfield from last season has already upped and left. None of the other 3 worked that well in a straight 442 so perhaps that's the thinking. Sako was never going to be replaced by equal quality so any straight 4 in midfield would've been weaker than last year. May as well try something new that suits the remaining players better and hope you see the team improve that way rather than through new arrivals.

I wonder whether KJ has been told he must sell before he brings players in. I have every faith in our excellent manager, I am just a little concerned that the exit door is busier than the entry door.

To be fair the best part of Wolves 4 man midfield from last season has already upped and left. None of the other 3 worked that well in a straight 442 so perhaps that's the thinking. Sako was never going to be replaced by equal quality so any straight 4 in midfield would've been weaker than last year. May as well try something new that suits the remaining players better and hope you see the team improve that way rather than through new arrivals.

Wolves best formation was 4-2-3-1 with Sako, Afobe and Henry/ RvlP as the 3 and Price and McD as the deeper players. It would've been far easier to replace one player and keep a system rather than not replace and start using a whole new style of play. Particularly as it is a step change of such magnitude. Going from using width to going down the middle. That really isn't very easy to do at all, let alone in approximately 6 weeks.

I hope I'm wrong and we look fluid through middle but I have quite serious doubts.

1). The best two players in our squad are our two centre forwards.
2). None of our central midfielders look comfortable in a 2 man midfield.
3). Now Sako has left none of our wingers are integral to the make up of our team.

This is a good decision. It plays to our strengths.

Back