• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I'll be disappointed if Neves goes for less than 50 mill, having said that we won't know what he goes for, the clubs play that close to their chest, its up to the individual if they want to believe any of the clickbait media/social media figures bandied about .. whatever we get, the replacement won't be as good, at least not initially imo.

I've been trying to keep an open mind about the managerial change going into the new season and as times gone I've even managed to convince myself into a state of semi optimism about what it could all mean.

If Neves does end up going, it's going to take some pretty special signings for me to even be semi optimistic. I think he's even better than most people think he is, in a more attacking team with his forward passing ability and vision he could be seriously good IMO. It's horrible to think of him lining up against us, for me he symbolises everything that's good about what's happened in the last four years.

I don’t think there is much value in becoming attached to players when the club is clearly operating a buy-sell-buy policy. We aren’t heavily financed by our owner and every player we have is always going to be a saleable asset for the right bid.

Any success we have won’t be based on the players we keep, but on those we buy. If we keep Neves and Adama then we have less money available to buy new players and we need new players. I will pay about as much attention to Neves if he is sold as I do to Jota…not much.

If Neves leaves I couldn't care less where he goes, as long as we get a decent fee and it's reinvested in key positions.

We REALLY need a CB, CM and a CF before the season starts. £40-50m would go a long way to help getting two of those.

Leao would be nice up top, he looks great. Not convinced with Palhinha though. Seems too much of a card machine clogger at times, you may as well just play Saiss there than spend money for a similar thing. I'd be after someone more mobile and with better technique on the ball. CB is where we need to spend big for someone really decent. And not an U21 either.

Yes I agree with the reasons you've outlined there for letting him go. I don't know I'm so attached to him, I wasn't like it when Jota left. I don't begrudge him getting a move to a bigger club in the slightest, been the ultimate professional in all the time he's been here.

I agree that Neves is symbolic, and him going would be the end of this epoch of success (hopefully the beginning of another one??)

For all his achievements with us, interestingly I don't think Nuno really managed to unlock the best in Ruben in the PL, his play has developed, but he's not quite become the player we thought he could be when he was starring in the Champ, yet (imo).

If he doesn't go, hopefully the new set-up will see him start to fulfill his potential with us

...having said that we won't know what he goes for, the clubs play that close to their chest, its up to the individual if they want to believe any of the clickbait media/social media figures bandied about ..
Not sure that is true, we knew the full details of the Doherty and Jota deals.

I don’t think there is much value in becoming attached to players when the club is clearly operating a buy-sell-buy policy. We aren’t heavily financed by our owner and every player we have is always going to be a saleable asset for the right bid.

Any success we have won’t be based on the players we keep, but on those we buy. If we keep Neves and Adama then we have less money available to buy new players and we need new players. I will pay about as much attention to Neves if he is sold as I do to Jota…not much.
That's a very logical way of looking at it. I can't help getting attached though.

If we end up buying someone else, I'll get attached to them too. Not sure I could really enjoy supporting a team if I had to force myself into viewing our players purely as economic assets to be bought and sold.

There's pretty much nothing we don't know, fee wise, really. It's always undisclosed, but it's also always pretty common knowledge.

Apparently were sniffing around Tarkwoski again, i think he is just what we need.
In terms of ability yes, but we won't do that deal. Burnley want well north of £20m and he's only got a year left on his deal. 29 in November so no resale value. Leicester looked and walked away. He'll go on a free next summer.

In terms of ability yes, but we won't do that deal. Burnley want well north of £20m and he's only got a year left on his deal. 29 in November so no resale value. Leicester looked and walked away. He'll go on a free next summer.
If we pick him up for £10-15m it'd be a good deal, it's in a position we need, we know he's Prem ready, experienced, and he shouldn't have any problems adapting to the culture etc.

That's a very logical way of looking at it. I can't help getting attached though.

If we end up buying someone else, I'll get attached to them too. Not sure I could really enjoy supporting a team if I had to force myself into viewing our players purely as economic assets to be bought and sold.
Agreed, what's the point in football if you don't have some emotional attachment to it. Be it the players, managers, stadium or the club itself as a whole.

If we pick him up for £10-15m it'd be a good deal, it's in a position we need, we know he's Prem ready, experienced, and he shouldn't have any problems adapting to the culture etc.
Yeah, but that's like me looking at a nice joint of lamb in the Co-Op and saying "I wouldn't mind picking that up for a fiver". No good if the price tag says £12 :D

Burnley aren't going to do a cut price deal, they have made that abundantly clear.

Yeah, but that's like me looking at a nice joint of lamb in the Co-Op and saying "I wouldn't mind picking that up for a fiver". No good if the price tag says £12 :D

Burnley aren't going to do a cut price deal, they have made that abundantly clear.
My point was, if it was up to 15, even up to 20 it would be worthwhile. There is no one else available (?) with the same profile that we could pick up for less.

Once upon a time we signed a player with a good reputation from a team who were set up to defend their box and tried to play him in a higher line. It ended badly. Tarkowski would concern me for the same reason

Where have these links from tarkowski come from? I know the telegraph linked us a few weeks ago

Back