• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

I'm of the opinion that another manager would have found themselves in exactly the same predicament GON finds himself in...

It's been a brutal start to the season, it was always gonna be. I was HOPING for 8 points from the first 10 games. Honestly I EXPECTED to have 1 point after these 5 games, if we have more than 3 points after ten games I'd be surprised.

I'm no fan of GON, I find he has excuses for everything (I've not listened to any interviews this season so don't know if he's still peddling lame excuses), but I feel it would be harsh to judge GON on these opening games (it's an awful fixture list)...

The danger is we spiral to oblivion though, losing becomes a habit. I questioned his tactics last season and I've found his tactics far to open versus very difficult opposition this season, almost as if he sees them as free hits, when it may well have served us better to have had a boring safety first approach...

Looking at upcoming fixtures, I think we need at least 7 points in November, unless we somehow get 4 or 5 points from Liverpool, Brentford, City and Brighton, which seems unlikely...

We may get though November and have fewer than 5 points in total from 13 games! If that's the case, it may be too late to save the season anyway.

Fuck.

It would be stupidly unpopular but I’d say Allardyce might actually be an improvement.

Disclaimer: not a vote for Big Sam.
In Big Sam’s heyday I would have agreed with you but he is well past his sell by now and he is a dinosaur in style of play these days.

Who’s out there though?
And who’s going to come and manage us knowing we are very badly run with a chairman who lies ?
There are quite a few out there including Conceicao, Moyes and Potter. Persuading them to come would be the challenge. As a previous poster said Mendes may be able to sell it to Conceicao; bring it on!

Stating the obvious, but the longer they leave it the less desirable it becomes. Give it another 6, games and we are likely to be 5 points or so from safety.

I'd be very surprised if he goes before Brentford, it's an International Break after that so a defeat there and the timing fits. A point or more against them and I think he survives. Winless after Palace would still be where I think they'd do it.

In-game issues aside, I'm reading so many quotes from him bigging up our opposition constantly...so small-time for a fairly established PL team.

If we're such underdogs all the time then why does he insist we play so openly and naively?

at the moment it just feels like a predictable and slow car crash. we’re like an extension of VAR where you might celebrate a goal and instead of being chalked off you concede 2 or 3 instead.

I'm of the opinion that another manager would have found themselves in exactly the same predicament GON finds himself in...

It's been a brutal start to the season, it was always gonna be. I was HOPING for 8 points from the first 10 games. Honestly I EXPECTED to have 1 point after these 5 games, if we have more than 3 points after ten games I'd be surprised.

I'm no fan of GON, I find he has excuses for everything (I've not listened to any interviews this season so don't know if he's still peddling lame excuses), but I feel it would be harsh to judge GON on these opening games (it's an awful fixture list)...

The danger is we spiral to oblivion though, losing becomes a habit. I questioned his tactics last season and I've found his tactics far to open versus very difficult opposition this season, almost as if he sees them as free hits, when it may well have served us better to have had a boring safety first approach...

Looking at upcoming fixtures, I think we need at least 7 points in November, unless we somehow get 4 or 5 points from Liverpool, Brentford, City and Brighton, which seems unlikely...

We may get though November and have fewer than 5 points in total from 13 games! If that's the case, it may be too late to save the season anyway.

Fuck.

It’s culpable responsibility and often is, the complete disaster between between 2011-2013 was the exact same.

Each to their own, but I don't see how anyone could have expected us to have 1 point from 5 games unless they thought we were going down. No mid table team should expect to lose at home to Newcastle or Chelsea - different to expecting to win. Newcastle have won 1 of their 3 away games, we did the double over Chelsea last season. Like for like we got 5 points last year, 3 should have been the lowest to expect.

Each to their own, but I don't see how anyone could have expected us to have 1 point from 5 games unless they thought we were going down. No mid table team should expect to lose at home to Newcastle or Chelsea - different to expecting to win. Newcastle have won 1 of their 3 away games, we did the double over Chelsea last season. Like for like we got 5 points last year, 3 should have been the lowest to expect.

Fulham literally beat Newcastle pretty comfortably just yesterday.

It's not as if we historically roll over our peers or newly promoted teams either, we've all seen the latter smash and grab us at Molineux on more than one occasion

It's not as if we historically roll over our peers or newly promoted teams either, we've all seen the latter smash and grab us at Molineux on more than one occasion
It's this mentality, not so much on here that started from Shi last season and adopted by GON this that people have swallowed that we are some sort of plucky underdog. We should be proud we've given these teams a game as they are better than us. It's a small time attitude and only really applicable to 3 sides, certainly not the likes of Newcastle and Villa.

If you assume 36 points keeps you up, that's 9 wins and 9 draws, most of which will come at home. To do that you need to be picking up points against sides like that, not every game, but certainly not shrugging your shoulders in a what do you expect fashion.

Exactly this!

There’s realistically two teams that you’d say are throw away fixtures in the league. City & Arsenal. Maybe Liverpool (although they can be got at). And even in recent history we’ve had results against these clubs.

It’s loser mentality & it’s being fed from the top.

We’re a team full of internationals. Yes it’s a tough run of fixtures but fucking grow up and get on with it.

It's a load of defeatist fucking claptrap. Anyone spewing it, be they named Shi or O'Neil needs to fuck off and then when they have finished with that fuck off a whole lot more.

In a twist that's making me question my perception of reality, we're actually the 2nd best team in the league so far in an... admittedly very specific defensive category?

1727026379837.png
Of course, we're 3rd worst on the attacking end.

In a twist that's making me question my perception of reality, we're actually the 2nd best team in the league so far in an... admittedly very specific defensive category?

View attachment 11725
Of course, we're 3rd worst on the attacking end.
We give opponents relatively poor quality opportunities, but they score from anyway.

Whilst SJ is only -0.8. Both keepers we have played now have negative xG rates. So if we had a better keeper we'd potentially have more points.

Back