• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

It's a lot more about the opposition style than raising the game imo. We are built to hit teams on the break, the bigger sides will by and large play their own game which invariably is try and dominate the ball and not worry too much about us, which suits the way we want to play. Those lower down the league will more likely sit men behind the ball and ask us to break them down particularly at Molineux. It's not massively different to how things were in the first 2 Nuno PL seasons in that respect. We've still to play a run of the mill team at home this season, although Villa did amend the way they play to try and limit us
It does feel like for the 1st time in a while teams genuinely have to worry about how we play and adapt to play against us. I think the amount of players with pace and who will run at, and in behind, teams is going to mean teams are worried about playing us for the first time in at least 3 seasons.

It's a lot more about the opposition style than raising the game imo. We are built to hit teams on the break, the bigger sides will by and large play their own game which invariably is try and dominate the ball and not worry too much about us, which suits the way we want to play. Those lower down the league will more likely sit men behind the ball and ask us to break them down particularly at Molineux. It's not massively different to how things were in the first 2 Nuno PL seasons in that respect. We've still to play a run of the mill team at home this season, although Villa did amend the way they play to try and limit us
This.
Tactics and patience required. (and taking our chances when they come 😬).

GoN has done better than I thought he would, which was 17th.

We now have 6 months to get a good manager and team in, thank GoN for doing a good job at such short notice and move on as a club.

If you believed the West Ham rumour then you can kill it now. I think for the squad and the fixtures we've had we are about where we should be points wise, be it not where you'd have predicted them. I remain unconvinced, Hobbs is all in though so he's not going anywhere until next October at the earliest though

If you believed the West Ham rumour then you can kill it now. I think for the squad and the fixtures we've had we are about where we should be points wise, be it not where you'd have predicted them. I remain unconvinced, Hobbs is all in though so he's not going anywhere until next October at the earliest though
I'm not sure that's true. If we have a terrible run at any point I think Hobbs is shrewd enough to know when to pull the trigger.

I remain unconvinced. Is about as nicely as I can put it as he’s an inexperienced coach with a not particularly good squad.

I don't expect it'll happen but if you repeated the performance and result from today against all of Chelsea, Brentford and Everton (all of whom pose differing threats and challenges) then he wouldn't be looking very secure at all.

I'm not sure that's true. If we have a terrible run at any point I think Hobbs is shrewd enough to know when to pull the trigger.
Maybe, I mean if we genuinely get dragged into the relegation battle then I'd not discount it, I guess what I am discounting is that happening and him bulleting him in any other eventuality

I can easily see us being rid of him at the close of the season if there’s even a hint of getting dragged into the relegation muck.

At this point I’m more or less happy to let things play out, but I’d have no hesitation jettisoning him, either.

Base GON on his January signings. Until then bite your lip every time he brings on Lardy arse Doherty every week.

We're likely to be an inconsistent team through the entire season. That's just what our squad and manager is right now,.

We had a poor run at the start when everyone wanted him sacked, then we had a good run where people were praising him, now we've had a bit of a blip again and people are suggesting he'll be gone again. It's only our away form though, we're still unbeaten in five at home.

Our upcoming fixtures suggest we're more likely to stabilise than continue to get worse so it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup this time round for me. Plus we beat Burnley only three games ago.

Base GON on his January signings. Until then bite your lip every time he brings on Lardy arse Doherty every week.
We won’t be doing much business. Unless we lose every game until then

I think there is a chance he will be gone at the end of the season but the real problem is could anyone do any better with this squad (I mean any realistic manager who would come to work for us)

I don't think there's any chance at all he gets sacked at the end of the season, even if we finish 17th, which we won't.

His remit was to stay up, and we'll do that comfortably.

Back