• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Far too early to say he's better than Lop, or even as good, but the football has been so much more enjoyable for me.

I more so meant Dawson’s comments that Squeak pointed out. Obviously he isn’t better than Lop, who currently has more trophies and managed big European teams.

If he leads us to a decent league finish at the end of the season with a higher entertainment level than we've had for a while, I'll be chuffed, and it'll justify Hobb's decision in a tricky situation.

Still some way to go to get to that point, but would be interesting to see how GON and Hobbs would want to evolve the team from there, especially in terms of personnel

I think that’s the key for me too. Obviously we are a long way off it, but if we did manage upwards of a 12th place finish then how do we push ourselves onto the next level - and is GON the man to do that.

For now, I’m just going to enjoy the moment we’re currently in!

Dare I say it Gary is the most likeable manager (obviously Nuno aside) we've had in years.

Dare I say it Gary is the most likeable manager (obviously Nuno aside) we've had in years.
Liked: Nuno, Mick, Jackett (but went off him towards the end), Taylor, Turner
Neutral: Jones, Solbakken, Lop, Lee, Lambert
Disliked a lot: Lage, Saunders, McGhee, Zenga, Hoddle

I don't think it's that binary eg I was Turner out for a year before he went, never wanted him in the first place, would have kept Little and would have happily binned him a couple of months in. All the bits in between liked him obviously. Body of work in full makes him a good manager

Liked: Nuno, Mick, Jackett (but went off him towards the end), Taylor, Turner
Neutral: Jones, Solbakken, Lop, Lee, Lambert
Disliked a lot: Lage, Saunders, McGhee, Zenga, Hoddle
Agree with that, Gary is on a par with Mick atm for me, obviously he doesn't have the longevity yet.

Agree with that, Gary is on a par with Mick atm for me, obviously he doesn't have the longevity yet.
Agreed. Lage started off in the neutral category but rapidly dropped to disliked. GO is certainly very likeable at the moment. I think most Wolves fans want honesty and don't want dross being dressed up as something it isn't - something Saunders, McGhee and Hoddle excelled at.

Nah I wouldn't say Gary is near Mick's charisma or achievements yet imo (mainly given how short a time he's been here) he has the chance to really make his mark at Wolves though, a great canvas for him to work on.

Obviously talented, interesting to see what his ceiling is, and how many more cynics like myself he can surprise.

I do think the key in the PL is managing through bad runs without haemorrhaging points and confidence. He's come through tough initial fixtures well overall, so that's a good start

Winning cures all; if the results weren’t there we would find ways to dislike him.
Er, yes of course, it's mostly about the results, but the football has also been much more enjoyable for me. If we hadn't got anything out of the game I'd have been incredibly frustrated same as everyone else but that would have been mostly down to the players ineptitude in front of goal, not much GON could do about that.

Winning cures all; if the results weren’t there we would find ways to dislike him.
Like saying 'fings' and 'free at the back' and 'I want them to be free finking',,,
But apart from that I really like him. He doesn't seem to act up on the touchline 'eiver'.

I thought he deserved more from Bournemouth after keeping them up, with what he had to work with, and he came here in the worst of circumstances after lop legged it.
I am impressed by him and how he handles himself, and his personal modesty, but am most impressed by the players comments about him, the fact they play full on for well over 90 minutes, and how quickly he seems to be reading the players and getting the best out of them, not seeing many zquare pegs so far.
The team is really together and playing every game to win, so he's ok in my book, as is Hobbs who impresses me.
AFTER ALL, we could have ended up with fucking Beale. 😅
No he didn't. GON inherited a squad that had turned a corner. A team that in the end had stayed up comfortably and could afford a drubbing or two.

Lopetegui didn't just vanish one day. He gave the club weeks to find a new manager while overseeing a successful preseason.

Don't rewrite history. As far as circumstances go taking over a new club, GON couldn't have had it much better...

Since his arrival we signed Bueno, Bellegarde and Doyle. There was no shit show.

No he didn't. GON inherited a squad that had turned a corner. A team that in the end had stayed up comfortably and could afford a drubbing or two.

Lopetegui didn't just vanish one day. He gave the club weeks to find a new manager while overseeing a successful preseason.

Don't rewrite history. As far as circumstances go taking over a new club, GON couldn't have had it much better...

Since his arrival we signed Bueno, Bellegarde and Doyle. There was no shit show.
Sorry mom 😏

Back