• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Do you still think his tactics of late have not been mindful of the opposition after seeing him on MNF last night?

I think it's more a case of getting those tactics right than not considering the opposition to be fair.
That's not what I said, which was too focused on the opposition and not on our strengths. The game management at Palace being a prime example

That's not what I said, which was too focused on the opposition and not on our strengths. The game management at Palace being a prime example
The Palace game was where I went full GON out mode, it was all a bit Lagesque up to that point. Since then he's turned it round and I'm currently in the 'see how it goes for a bit' camp, a bit more encouraged.

Palace was the start. 2nd half v Liverpool, whilst we may still have lost, he had no answer to the changes Klopp made. At this point it was looking very much like he had an idea but if it was successfully countered, he couldn't respond.

Luton was a mix of awful starting tactics and too many players just not turning up....salvaged with a solid defensive performance with 10.
Ipswich Cup game it looked and felt like he had lost the players big time

City onwards though and things are looking up and it is good to see, especially v Bournemouth, that he can actually make a change when things are not quite right (something Lops was a master at..most of the time)

Just hope it continues. I will happily settle for a dull battle to finish 11th as I was expecting what Sheff Utd and Bournemouth are currently doing.

Can a mod change the title to 'in' please. If he's shit the next few can you put it back to 'out' maybe add 'shake it all about' as well..

Many Thanks.

"See how it goes for a bit" is a t-shirt slogan waiting to happen

Do you still think his tactics of late have not been mindful of the opposition after seeing him on MNF last night?

I think it's more a case of getting those tactics right than not considering the opposition to be fair.
The vast majority of teams consider the opposition at every professional level. Some might limit it to set pieces, some to the opposition's best players, some will adapt full on tactics.

I don't think GoN introduced 3-4-3 because of the opposition, I think that's internal, but the tactics will be tweaked as he said.

Last edited:
The days when Clough used to let the opposition worry about how his team would play are long gone. Few would question that Pep is one of the best, if not the best, of modern managers, and even he lost a Champions League Final to Chelsea by trying to be too clever with his team selection. If GO ever ignores how opponents will play, be it teams chasing Champions League places or relegation fodder, his tenure will be short-lived.

I feel like we have a team that are giving everything for the shirt and the manager and that we can mix it with anyone. I haven't felt like that, since Nuno was in charge.
Early days, I know, but at the moment he deserves all the credit he is getting.

My opinion so far,
Was surprised and concerned at his appointment (I probably put too much faith in the Bournemouth fans opinions). Initially we pleasantly surprised by our performance against United but then it started to tail off. Palace game rang alarm bells, his subs were a bit Bruno Lage.
After Luton I was in the Gaz out camp.
Since then I've been more and more comfortable with his performances, got his tactics and subs right for the most part since the Ipswich debacle.
Big test now with Neto missing and a game we should be winning. Will he just replace Neto with Sasa (or Fabio) or will he change the formation completely, maybe 4-2-3-1? Sasa with a 3 of Hwang, Cunha, Bellegarde?

Really pleased with how quickly O'Neil is learning on the job; didn't expect that.

Still only played 10 games though, and we know how quickly things can change in the PL, but I feel GON has most of the fanbase behind what he's doing, which is important. As Andy said, at this stage it's now looking like Hobbs did see something there, hopefully that solidifies over time.

Going 5 games unbeaten in the PL is really encouraging, and he's got us scoring goals regularly (at the cost of some clean sheets perhaps?), which is a pleasant change...

So Jeff putting him in complete charge of the footballing side is his best decision since saying yes to Jorge for Nuno?

(Even if the side effect of this is we now get to read his inner monologue every few months in the E&S)

So Jeff putting him in complete charge of the footballing side is his best decision since saying yes to Jorge for Nuno?

(Even if the side effect of this is we now get to read his inner monologue every few months in the E&S)
Absolutely.

Very encouraging but as others have said without Neto for a few weeks provides another challenge.

League table looks well and that's despite 3 terrible penalty decisions going against us, which potentially have cost us 5 pts, could be 6th if they had gone our way.

I still stand by everything I said when O’Neil was appointed and during his first few games. However, I am delighted to see him and the team having a good run of performances and long may it continue.

If (and it is an if) we can keep this up over the whole season then I will be happy for GON to prove me wrong. He seems like a decent bloke so I have no reason to want him to fail.

I think many of us accepted what Bournemouth fans said without thinking a bit deeper about what he had to work with there. I’m delighted there’s been a huge upturn in performances since Ipswich and really couldn’t see it coming. The win over City was massive as it was a huge confidence booster for management, players and fans. Long may it continue.

I thought he deserved more from Bournemouth after keeping them up, with what he had to work with, and he came here in the worst of circumstances after lop legged it.
I am impressed by him and how he handles himself, and his personal modesty, but am most impressed by the players comments about him, the fact they play full on for well over 90 minutes, and how quickly he seems to be reading the players and getting the best out of them, not seeing many zquare pegs so far.
The team is really together and playing every game to win, so he's ok in my book, as is Hobbs who impresses me.
AFTER ALL, we could have ended up with fucking Beale. 😅

Back