• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

I want Wolves to succeed. If Gary O’Neil achieves the results necessary then I will be happy. If he gets more results like his previous ones then I will want him gone. Don't think that is such an unusual opinion to hold

So if we lose to villa next week you'll want him out again? It just seems to lack any conviction.

If you geniunely think he's shit, why would winning today change your mind on that?

New evidence begets new conclusions innit.

So if we lose to villa next week you'll want him out again? It just seems to lack any conviction.

If you geniunely think he's shit, why would winning today change your mind on that?
Have I said that my overall opinion has changed? I still think its a poor appointment but if we get more of the same over the next few games I shall hold my hands up and say he's proved me wrong. Should I be unhappy at the result today because its on GO?

Have I said that my overall opinion has changed? I still think its a poor appointment but if we get more of the same over the next few games I shall hold my hands up and say he's proved me wrong. Should I be unhappy at the result today because its on GO?

I would be if I genuinely hated him like you said you did.

He bought himself some time today, with a fantastic displayed were brilliant, and the players look genuinely happy with GON, There is no split, there is no dissent

Everyone can agree on paper it’s a shit appointment. He’s doesn’t have the required CV for starters, and even if he is a coaching genius you wouldn’t normally get a trial at a PL club. Would still be a huge gamble from Hobbs even if he was the ‘outstanding candidate’ (flip side maybe clubs would he better off gambling rather than grabbing off the merry go round,( but Beale was largely accepted on here, maybe more desperation than anything, and he’s clearly a dislikeable character in hindsight, and less experienced.))

IMO a lot of the criticism is purely bias filled, some warranted. But he’s bought himself some time as @Tony Towner alludes to. And with us having a more acceptable points tally the time he craves is available. If after the next six we are trending downwards rather than upwards then he will have no defence.

Two things can be true, Ws. GO can have gotten today very right, it doesn’t change that he got Luton very wrong.

One doesn’t preclude the other and it doesn’t suddenly invalidate the frustrations from what was a pretty awful week for the club.

It’s all a bit silly really. Klopp got 45 minutes massively wrong, to the point he should have been 2/3-0 down. Pep got 90 minutes wrong today. O neil got 30 minutes wrong, we actually looked on top for 10 minutes then got a man sent off. The skill gap is bigger against City and Liverpool than Luton. Just use your heads a little.

Not arguing that, however it would be impossible for a 'tactically inept pe teacher' to successfully outmanoeuvre one of the best tacticians in the game with significantly inferior players.

He's not very experienced, there are gonna be times where that shows but there's been signs that he's got some idea on what he's doing, the Liverpool game showed both sides of this.

The hyperbole around his performance so far is daft, he's been here 5 minutes and people want him gone, mainly because they are so biased by their original opinion.

He did well today and got his tactics spot on as, when we conceded, we continued to go for it rather than bringing on an array of defensive substitutions and settling for a draw - which we’ve done in pretty much every game this year where we’ve been ahead.

Hopefully he has learned a thing or two/gotten some confidence from today’s result which will be to Wolves’ benefit. He’s still highly inexperienced and that will cost us a few more times this season whilst he gets to grips on his squad and the Premier League, but I’m glad it worked out for him today.

And, to be fair to the ‘haters’, they’ve all given him some credit for today.

He also deserves some credit for turning around the squad after appalling performances at Luton and Ipswich. I’m sure the game today being a perceived ‘free hit’ helped, I think he gets in his own head about preserving leads/points in the ‘must win’ games which is when the sitting back tends to creep in. But hopefully today may sway him away from that.

IMG_5538.jpeg

Will be interesting to see where we are after 15 games. We’ve had an objectively tougher first set of fixtures than many. No real excuse to hit 15 games with fewer than 15 points though.

I would argue we could get points out of Villa (we tend to do well against them), Bournemouth, Sheffield United and maybe Fulham in the next 7. The rest are tough though - then it eases up (on paper) with Burnley, Forest, West Ham, and Chelsea.

Fair play to him today but one swallow definitely does not make a summer.
If we start to put a decent run together then I’ll happily change my opinion about him.

How about we are allowed to criticise when he gets it hopelessly wrong as he has done in several games this season as long as we give him credit when he pulls off an amazing result as he did today?
Spot on, he has been criticised before today, and rightly so (some has been OTT imo, but equally there has been some bizarre defences of his tactics put forward) however today ye deserves nothing but praise.

I’m fairly sure everyone (including me) who have criticised him and don’t think he’s fit for purpose will be gladly proven wrong, as it means Wolves have done well 🤷‍♂️

Back