• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Not all Wolves fans clearly. Lopetegui was fucking shafted. Absolutely not without blame himself but the taps were turned off. And yet we were fine in pre season. Not Man City obviously, but fine.

This twat arrived and broke fucking everything as he is hideously under qualified. That’s the issue.

Wolves are a mess.

Sure, and it's shit.

Plenty of other clubs, much bigger than us too, are a mess. It can be a pretty dysfunctional league, the PL.

Lop still managed to get top 10 form out of that 'mess'.

We don't need Gary O' fucking Neil to be a unifying messiah figure, just do a bit better than this, that'd be a start;

F6uOIuQXoAAwkF6.jpg

Sure, and it's shit.

Plenty of other clubs, much bigger than us too, are a mess. It can be a pretty dysfunctional league, the PL.

Lop still managed to get top 10 form out of that 'mess'.

We don't need Gary O' fucking Neil to be a unifying messiah figure, just do a bit better than this, that'd be a start;

View attachment 8436
I don't disagree and nothing I have said would suggest I disagree. I just don't think O'Neill pointing out that the situation isn't great (when it clearly isn't) is the stick to beat him with.

Lopetegui did a decent job with a squad that had got worse under a poorly equipped manager and an ownership with no strategy but he did have 7 or 8 weeks to work with them before the season got back under way and then had some money to spend in January.

O'Neill had a few days and some (so far) underwhelming additions to the squad. But we have largely been shit other than some occasional glimpses of the apparent talent we have, there is no doubt about that and it is difficult to see what he will do to reverse the decline, there are hardly green shoots of recovery to cling to.

When O'Neill says there are problems, when everyone knows there are problems, and gets criticised for it I think maybe that criticism is a little unwarranted. That said, whatever words he utters are used against him on here. It's like Molineux Mix of old on here at the moment, I can't even bring myself to visit that site at the moment as I am sure it would make my eyes bleed.

There are enough sticks to beat O'Neil with purely based on his shit management ability, so there isn't really a need to use his comments about the state of the club. The state of the club is shit, and it has been shit for a while. Lop stabilised things for half a season, but the club is in a mess. O'Neil shouldn't be using that as an excuse, no, but it is pretty undeniable. We've been run by a bunch of shysters who have fucked things up. O'Neil's appointment is one of the many things they have fucked up. He needs to go, and so do the owners.

- He shouldn't have got the job (nor should Lage)
- We've declined horribly over 3 and a bit years out of our own mismanagement and poor decisions
- He hasn't started well
- There's already a pattern in how we play which I don't like and doesn't fit the players we have
- If he doesn't get a win before the clocks go back then I don't think he'll be here any longer

That's all that matters really. Sometimes he talks rubbish, sometimes he has a point. He's not on Lage/Hoddle/Saunders levels of constant drivel and the way every comment he makes is jumped on isn't necessary or proportionate.

@Dire Wolf @The Saturday Boy the point you're both missing (and which has been made) is that he's not using 'the club is a mess' as an excuse, it's more narrowly focused than that, he isn't throwing criticism Hobbs or Jeff's way, it's thinly veiled at the previous manager, and that doesn't stand up.

Edit: @darlowolf64 put it much more succinctly than me 😅

To be fair he said he inherited a shit show. Now the implication is that is on the previous incumbent but it is only an implication.

I don't disagree and nothing I have said would suggest I disagree. I just don't think O'Neill pointing out that the situation isn't great (when it clearly isn't) is the stick to beat him with.

Lopetegui did a decent job with a squad that had got worse under a poorly equipped manager and an ownership with no strategy but he did have 7 or 8 weeks to work with them before the season got back under way and then had some money to spend in January.

O'Neill had a few days and some (so far) underwhelming additions to the squad. But we have largely been shit other than some occasional glimpses of the apparent talent we have, there is no doubt about that and it is difficult to see what he will do to reverse the decline, there are hardly green shoots of recovery to cling to.

When O'Neill says there are problems, when everyone knows there are problems, and gets criticised for it I think maybe that criticism is a little unwarranted. That said, whatever words he utters are used against him on here. It's like Molineux Mix of old on here at the moment, I can't even bring myself to visit that site at the moment as I am sure it would make my eyes bleed.

He isnt expected to have control of many areas of the club like Lopetegui or Nuno did, so when hes criticising the previous regime, he's criticising many of the same players who delivered 31 points in 21 games last season.

If he was delivering the same results as Lopetegui give or take and complaining that there are problems preventing him/us from progressing then that would wholly fair. He isnt though.

He's either unable or incapable of motivating the same players to perform at the same level now. That requires introspection, not him blaming everybody else.

@Dire Wolf @The Saturday Boy the point you're both missing (and which has been made) is that he's not using 'the club is a mess' as an excuse, it's more narrowly focused than that, he isn't throwing criticism Hobbs or Jeff's way, it's thinly veiled at the previous manager, and that doesn't stand up.

Edit: @darlowolf64 put it much more succinctly than me 😅

Thanks god there's a voice of reason to mansplain it to me.

How could I have been so wrong?

Not sure what your point is.
You said the whole club was broken when O'Neil came in, which obviously wasn't true. On the whole, we had a good run from Christmas onwards form wise (with a couple for shocking results in there) and you listed a lot of players that already left the club as a reason why.

Yes there are issues throughout the club, but the playing side wasn't as bad as O'Neil would have us believe

To be fair he said he inherited a shit show. Now the implication is that is on the previous incumbent but it is only an implication.
I guess it depends on how far he needs to go before it's more than implied. He's not used Lopetegui's name, but I'd say this is more than an implication in everything other than a legal sense

"When I arrived, the culture of the club needed a shift.

"Some of it needed to move into more togetherness and the way they went about things was very individual-focused and there wasn't a lot of structure to what they did."

Back