• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

There’s always room for having my ass handed to me in any prediction. 🙂

An upturn in form for any of them seems about as likely as one for us, for better and worse.

Our squad isn’t that talented, certainly not in an attacking sense. All teams overate their own players, and normally aren’t particularly knowledgable about the opposition. But even still, if you asked a Burnley fan who out of our squad they’d want in their first team, I reckon they’d turn their noses up at all bar Neto

Edit - They’d probably want Hwang too…

Sure, but fuck ‘em.

I can’t account for each fan’s individual evaluation of every player at every other club.

The constant whingeing about inheriting a broken squad is wearing thin and is obviously just a cover up for his own ineptitude, the players can see through that.

Rayan Ait-Nouri frozen out. Moutinho disappeared. Nunes probably didn’t want to be here. Podence was out in all but name. Collins out of favour. Jimenez out of favour. Costa on the way out. Adama didn‘t want to stay. Jonny on the periphery. Neves leaving. Three managers in one season. Owners/Chairman pulling the plug…

The whole club was broken, not just the squad. We had a decent manager whose assessment of his situation led him to walk away. We had one decent pre season performance against Stade Rennes, the rest was meh.

Nothing O’Neill has done suggests he can undo the damage, but the damage had already been done by the owners who have made a succession of really poor decisions with no apparent plan for the future. When O’Neill says there are problems, it is revisionist to suggest there are not.

I'm sure the club culture wasn't so great when Lopetegui took over from Lage, but he didn't spend his first few months looking back and moaning (and he would have had a right to, given the pedigree he had and the fact we were bottom of the league!), he spoke more about the future from what I recall, and took us to safety.

This is the best job O'Neil will ever have, he needs to stop lowering expectations by talking everything down and making it sound like he took over from the tea lady.

If anything, we've got worse the more games he's been in charge while putting across his amazing Redknapp/Allardyce/Alex Neil management ethos

Rayan Ait-Nouri frozen out. Moutinho disappeared. Nunes probably didn’t want to be here. Podence was out in all but name. Collins out of favour. Jimenez out of favour. Costa on the way out. Adama didn‘t want to stay. Jonny on the periphery. Neves leaving. Three managers in one season. Owners/Chairman pulling the plug…

The whole club was broken, not just the squad. We had a decent manager whose assessment of his situation led him to walk away. We had one decent pre season performance against Stade Rennes, the rest was meh.

Nothing O’Neill has done suggests he can undo the damage, but the damage had already been done by the owners who have made a succession of really poor decisions with no apparent plan for the future. When O’Neill says there are problems, it is revisionist to suggest there are not.
Moutinho, Jimenez, Costa, Adama, Neves and Collins had all left when O'Neil rocked up hadn't they? O'Neil would have had no dealing with them.

We had top 10 form under Lop, O'Neil is just trying to use any excuse to cover his shortcomings

Lopetegui had a World Cup break and then saw additions to the squad in January. He had time to address issues durong the World Cup without the distraction of matches.

The Balague interview and some of the comments about/on behalf of Lopetegui and from Lopetegui himself spoke very much of future problems.

"difficult to compete....without investment"

Issues at the club are things Lopetegui "didn't know before"

Lopetegui "tried in the summer. This was plan A. We went to plan B...but we can't develop this plan too"

"We lost a lot of players and we think the club want to sell more players. In thisnsituation. We need players to balance the squad and be competitive in the Premier League"

"We were excited by this new plan but now we don't have this plan...a big disappointment"

Whether you think O'Neil should be saying this was not my point -.what he is saying is demonstrably true.

Moutinho, Jimenez, Costa, Adama, Neves and Collins had all left when O'Neil rocked up hadn't they? O'Neil would have had no dealing with them.

We had top 10 form under Lop, O'Neil is just trying to use any excuse to cover his shortcomings
Not sure what your point is.

Lopetegui had a World Cup break and then saw additions to the squad in January. He had time to address issues durong the World Cup without the distraction of matches.

The Balague interview and some of the comments about/on behalf of Lopetegui and from Lopetegui himself spoke very much of future problems.

"difficult to compete....without investment"

Issues at the club are things Lopetegui "didn't know before"

Lopetegui "tried in the summer. This was plan A. We went to plan B...but we can't develop this plan too"

"We lost a lot of players and we think the club want to sell more players. In thisnsituation. We need players to balance the squad and be competitive in the Premier League"

"We were excited by this new plan but now we don't have this plan...a big disappointment"

Whether you think O'Neil should be saying this was not my point -.what he is saying is demonstrably true.

O'Neil isn't making the same points as Lopetegui was though.

O'Neil is basically hinting at poor/loose management by the previous incumbent/regime; playing issues, individualism, moving too much :D , 'craziness' on the pitch, not issues of trust or ambition relating to those further up the hierarchy

Not really.

Lop's issues were moving from Plan A to Plan B to Plan got no money guv'nor. The club/Jeff told him lies x 2

O'Neil came in fully aware of the plan that scared Lop off and was seemingly happy with that. He then got bumped up to Plan B because Nunes ran off into the arms of Pep. A reverse Lop if you will as he gained from a player sale.

There may have been issues between Lop and Wolves but they were not issues when GO arrived in town. He accepted the stuff the club told him. Players were not in revolt at anything and as a club to come into it was pretty calm. A little bit of turmoil I guess with the timing but the players were probably aware from after the Celtic game change was coming. If GO is using what Lop went through and led him to quit as an excuse for anything he now has then he is talking, quite frankly, utter fucking bollocks

Last edited:
O'Neil has also spoken about coming in 'halfway through the season', when he was in charge for the very first game! :D

Club culture and the 'big picture' isn't his remit. He's not an experienced, ex-international and European cup winning manager, he's a young, novice tracksuit manager/head coach.

It's his job, and you'd presume skillset, to work with the players we have and make them a competitive and well-organised team that knows what it's doing

The issues that led to Lopetegui leaving still exist. They didn't disappear when he left. The club from top to bottom has seen a pretty significant turnover in playing staff and managerial staff in a short period of time. The clubs owners are missing in action.

I don't see how the situation at Wolves can in any way be described as "pretty calm".

I have issues with the way Lopetegui left but I don't blame him for leaving. No manager of his calibre (or any calibre) was.going to touch us with a very long bargepole after what has happened this year. Suggesting there are no problems that O'Neil should be talking about is fantasy.

Wolves are a mess.

I think also, JL was talking about Wolves competing in the top ten of the division, and the problems there might be achieving that without investment of some sort. GON is attempting to lower expectations to believe he's doing an incredible job if we somehow scrape 36 points and survive.

He talks absolute shite

I think you’re all right. we’re in a bit of a mess due to the cumulative effects of crap decisions and lack of consistent ‘strategy’ going back a few years. All on Fosun and their appointed Execs.

and GON should be doing better with what we have and needs to button the whinging about last season when we all know, as does he, that our form picked up a lot under Lop. He needs to provide solutions and inspire the squad not make excuses.

It’s so weird how’s he acting like the last manager was sacked when everyone knows what happened. He’s just a moron clearly
It's only Wolves fans who know what happened. Not many outside of Wolves have any idea or even care...

It doesn't help that the media who reports on Wolves in the national press don't really seem to care either and have half-arsedly reported the "sacking" of Lopetegui and let GON spout his nonsensical sound bytes without challenge.

I spoke with a Spurs fan just the other day who said "I'm surprised Wolves sacked Lopetegui", of course I put him straight.

Back