• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

His form last season was generally very good, and he was essentially a right back in a back four with the way we defended for most of the year.

If we’re playing with out and out wing backs he’ll be solid, help us retain the ball but we are creating very little

Semedo as a wing back was always a massive part of why we were so impotent in attack a lot of the time. The way we played seemed to give a lot of the ball to him in good areas but he can’t do anything with it

His form last season was generally very good, and he was essentially a right back in a back four with the way we defended for most of the year.

If we’re playing with out and out wing backs he’ll be solid, help us retain the ball but we are creating very little
Yeah I agree.

You can dissect it, but it's inarguable that both RAN and Semedo have performed better for us in a wing back role with us setting up with 3 CBs than when we play with a traditional back 4.

Old men screaming at the clouds to suggest otherwise.

He hasn't directly set up many goals, but he's been involved on some level in many.

Yeah I agree.

You can dissect it, but it's inarguable that both RAN and Semedo have performed better for us in a wing back role with us setting up with 3 CBs than when we play with a traditional back 4.

Old men screaming at the clouds to suggest otherwise.
More like it’s inarguable that it’s arguable, given there an argument about it.

FWIW I just want to see a decent coach get our back four together as we’ve got more than decent enough players to man it. 5, 4, 10… makes no difference till we’re coached properly.

I'm not sure going to 3 CBs is even viable for us now, regardless of the arguments of whether it's a better system for us or not. We surely don't have enough CBs currently available to make it a solution anyway. And if we do go back to it, we are 1 injury from being forced into going back to a back 4, but this time with no cover. We have managed to mess the defensive situation up so badly, in so many ways. From personnel decisions, to recruitment, to a fundamental lack of organisation, to what looks like zero defensive coaching, we've got the full house on how to fuck up the defence.

More like it’s inarguable that it’s arguable, given there an argument about it.
Yeah people are arguing, (there was an argument for Brexit) But to suggest RAN and Semedo have performed better as FBs rather than WBs for us is just bollocks isn't it?

Almost as if they are so entrenched in the back 4 idea that they won't budge on it and just get all sweary at the idea of them being wrong?

In my opinion of course..

The players we have do not suit the system we have, that was clear at the start of the season and it's clear now.

Yes there are many other issues, and going to 3/5 won't be a silver bullet either. But it will help, even just from an aerial presence point of view.

We've nullified 2 of our best ball carriers (RAN and Semedo) we've reduced our aerial presence, (Andre has not won a single headed duel) and we've put Lemina into a position he's crap in. We've also dislodged Gomes who has been poor.

When we played a back 5 people said Semedo wasn't a WB he was a FB.
Now we play a 4 people say he's not a FB he's a WB.
🤷🏼‍♂️
I'm saying he's a better WB than a FB, not sure anyone else is, despite it being clear he's performed much better as a WB for us than as a FB.

We've nullified 2 of our best ball carriers (RAN and Semedo) we've reduced our aerial presence, (Andre has not won a single headed duel) and we've put Lemina into a position he's crap in. We've also dislodged Gomes who has been poor.
Our best ball carrier is Cunha. No competition.

Back