• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

It's Official!!: Europa League Thread

Got to be honest, I'd take anyone.

First, we're fucking excellent.

Second, how cool would it be to have AS Roma at Molineux under the lights?

Thanks Paddy :)

So that means we need one of those seven teams to lose? I probably wouldn’t count my chickens seeing the rest of the draw though.

Frankfurt have been largely excellent for two years but a) they collapsed horribly at the end of the season and only made it due to Hoffenheim in turn blowing up on the final day and b) they are going to be nothing like the same proposition if both Jovic and Haller go.

Issue being that it would be a rubbish away day, Frankfurt is boring as hell and I hate their stupid airport.

Of course, somewhere in Italy PaddingtonRoma is going through these same permutations and thinking "if we are seeded, the one to avoid in the draw is fucking Wolves".

One other thing - Mechelen were binned off after their match-fixing trial so Standard Liege are now in the group stage. Hence why Gent are now in. It doesn't help us at all as Standard had a much lower coefficient than Gent, but thought I would provide the final little morsel of information before the draw.

truthfully we played better against the strongest teams in the premier league. I think that suits us so would be happy to get whomever jumps out of the pot. Just not PSV. They beat us in 1980/81.

I wouldn't mind a bit of revenge for that, but it can wait until the group stages!

Call me arrogant but in the qualifiers don’t think there’s going to be to much quality above us even if we’re unseeded. Agree sides we want to avoid but we’d stand a chance against all the seeded sides.

PSV are in the champions league qualifiers aren’t they? Gent is a fantastic place, would be some away day.

PSV are in the champions league qualifiers aren’t they? Gent is a fantastic place, would be some away day.

They are but because they didn't win the Eredivisie (Ajax did, but only just) then if they get knocked out in the CL qualifiers then they fall into the same path as us, not the Champions path. I think!

I keep checking the bookies to see what price we are to win the Europa League - nothing up yet. We're 6/1 to finish in the top 6 and 20/1 for the top four in the Prem

They are but because they didn't win the Eredivisie (Ajax did, but only just) then if they get knocked out in the CL qualifiers then they fall into the same path as us, not the Champions path. I think!

Correct. That is why the two to drop in can only come from PSV, Plzen, Olympiacos and Basel.

Call me arrogant but in the qualifiers don’t think there’s going to be to much quality above us even if we’re unseeded. Agree sides we want to avoid but we’d stand a chance against all the seeded sides.

You’re right however lots of different factors come into play in Europe. It’s almost impossible to scout your opponents in the early rounds with the short turnaround and the team last season can be completely different. You have teams who are usually the better teams in the league suddenly switching to a formation they’ve never played because they are major underdogs.

Add in travel etc and it’s a different ball game to the PL. You could even play Home-Away-Away-Home the 2nd away game is tougher too as it’s the next round. Trust me when I say it Europe has a lot of potential banana skins if you don’t prepare right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All about waiting for the draw nights now. We know everyone who has been invited to the party.

Correct. That is why the two to drop in can only come from PSV, Plzen, Olympiacos and Basel.

Ah Ok, got it (kind of). Draws are on June 19 right? Do we think these will be televised on the UEFA site or just have to see the outcome afterwards?

Frankfurt have been largely excellent for two years but a) they collapsed horribly at the end of the season and only made it due to Hoffenheim in turn blowing up on the final day and b) they are going to be nothing like the same proposition if both Jovic and Haller go.

Issue being that it would be a rubbish away day, Frankfurt is boring as hell and I hate their stupid airport.

Just picking up on this, I’m taking the father in law there on Thursday. Not much for us to do then?

Do you like looking at big shiny office buildings?

I mean it's not like having a day out in Jaywick or anything. It's perfectly pleasant, just very sterile and dull. There are bars and stuff, but it's not a lively scene, and history wise there is practically nothing to see.

Back