• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 Qualifiers - The Road to France

Driving home when they qualified and they went to Bosnia for stoppage time....the Isreal and Wales games finished at the same time and the Welsh commentators thanked everyone but the person responsible for qualification, so I will.
Thank you Michel Platini for adding an extra 8 teams to the Euros :whistle: :run:

Don't the top two usually qualify anyway?

Coincidence that Wales finally qualify for a major championship and platini gets suspended for corruption?? I think not :)

If it were still 16 teams it would have been the 9 Group Winners, the best 2 second placed, 4 play off winners and France. So after tonight Wales would have an outside chance of qualifying by winning the Group or finishing as one of the best placed runners up, but would probably have been in the play offs

Considering Wales and Northern Ireland are usually fighting at the arse end of the tables grabbing 1st or 2nd place is a great achievement.

Considering Wales and Northern Ireland are usually fighting at the arse end of the tables grabbing 1st or 2nd place is a great achievement.

Absolutely. I wasn't particularly bothered about Euro 2016 (comparatively speaking that is - not like I wasn't ever intending to not watch every single game) but having 3 home nations qualify is definitely going to increase my interest. I hope Wales and N Ireland have decent tournaments - unless they meet England, of course.

Hopefully our other Irish friends can make it too.

I agree with that and with Edwards, Hennessey, Vokes, Ward, Keane and maybe Doyle a bit of current and ex Wolves interest as well.

Having said that, the sarcastic, condescending 'praise' for Edwards on Twitter is getting really fucking boring now.

Three of the home nations are through to the finals of a major competition. I wonder if that has happened before?

82 and 86 World Cups off the top of my head England, NI and Scotland

Thanks Tony. Wasn't 1986 the last time that Northern Ireland qualified for a major tournament.

Anyway congratulations to both Wales and Northern Ireland. I hope that in the group stages of the finals the home nations will be kept apart.

It was. I agree I'd rather face a Slovakia or Romania in the Group Phase even though Northern Ireland would only finish half way down the Championship at best if they were a league side and would expect Wolves to beat them. It shows what a tremendous achievement their qualification is

Looks like Albania will be joining the party next summer to, 3-0 up in Armenia with not long left.

Hope Ireland can get the win though having Cubehead McClean on the wing makes me fear for their chances.

I hope sweden can qualify through the play-offs..we will see what happens..

Ireland behind and then get a penalty about 10 seconds later. Bit fortunate as the foul was outside the box. Walters puts it away, 1-1.

Very ropey decision from the ref I'm right in thinking it's the same ref that sent a Man Utd player of against Real a few years back in the CL.

Great header by the main man there had generate power on the header himself when it was crossed.

Back