• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Derby 0 - Wolves 2 a five nil in all but the score tonight

First match for me this season after hearing all about the Boro game last week. I watched the one pre season game on tv but seeing this side live is quite an experience. I have seen some talented players over the years in various teams but pretty much all of the new arrivals are equal to or better than any of the past 30 years...and they are all in the same team.

John Ruddy is a good goalkeeper in his best years. Miranda and Boly both seem to defend very easily in the air and on the floor, both read the game well and are comfortable on the ball. Douglas can defend and get forward with equal aplomb, Neves has an old head to match his undoubted ability. Jota is as clever a footballer as I have seen in a Wolves shirt. The players we already have who played today all look comfortable in this company.

But what impressed me most was how well they worked as a team all over the pitch. They were visibly frustrated when something didn't come off - a misplaced pass usually because the receiver hadn't got the message but it so rarely happened. Good players who have been able to adapt to the system, surely helped by Nuno having players he knows...and know him.

It could be this is as good as it gets, but if this team improves they will surely have too much for this division.

Seriously excited. We will lose at Hull.

It is harsh but he was, IMO, noticeably off the pace. His first touch isn't quite there and he doesn't seem to gel with how the team is playing.

I very much hope it's just an early season blip without him having a lot of game time, what worries me is that he wasn't in form before his injury and hasn't quite rediscovered it yet.
We are fast moving away from where Dicko is a key player any way, his style would have struggled in this set up before injury. His time with us will end in the next Window. Leo, Ivan & New Striker will limit his time on the pitch.

Wow. Just wow.

Opening ten minutes Derby had the better of it and tbh I was expecting to weather some sort of storm in their first home game but it wasn't necessarily backs to the wall, and as the half progressed we got a foothold and started to look threatening. Leo was busy, but Jota and Neves are just outrageous talents and we should make the most out of seeing these special players.

Derby I felt were very poor, Weimann out wide yielded nothing as we know well and it allowed Doc to get forward and he linked up well with Bright. We are just so incisive when we want to get forward. Countless times we'd suck a full back in and a simple triangle gets us into a great position. Failing that Neves will ping a ball 60 yards to Dohertys or Douglas' feet. Doherty got a couple of useful crosses in but nobody was there or it was slightly behind those trying to get in. I do think once we get Leo fit/another striker this will reap so many rewards.

Sensed a goal was coming we'd really started turning the screw, Leo missed a shot from a low cross and Jota nipped in and drove toward goal a couple of times, the second of which Huddlestone only just outmuscled him. These lads aren't just champagne football but have some real tenacity too which is great to see.

Second half we stepped up the attacking play, Bright and Doc linked up fabulously but Doherty really should've finished it, that said I think Jota really shone in the second half, he was on the ground and got the ball past two defenders and skipped a couple more before winning a free kick, was through on goal but Wisdom made a fantastic challenge in getting back, after running 25-30 yards I think he ran out of steam which was a shame because he was good money for a goal and even when he could've had the glory he played the simple pass to ensure a goal.

We really could've won this 4 or 5-0 but I'll take three wins and no goals conceded after what looked a very tough start on paper. It's genuinely frightening that we will get better than this but some sides we play won't even be as good as today's Derby AND we have Costa to join proceedings.

Ruddy - Couple of smart saves, claimed the ball well. I really like him on the two showings so far. Maybe reinvigorated at a new club. 7

Boly - He's everywhere! Tussled with Martin and gave him nothing. What I love is how composed he is in possession and he's as equally formidable in an aerial or ground battle. 8.5 (MOTM)
Coady - Mopped up a few loose ends well and flew into a couple of tackles to make his presence known nad surprisingly sprayed the ball around very well at times. Sadly he was once again caught out by a high ball. This will eventually cost us, he's improved immeasurably so I hope he can eliminate this too. 6.5
Miranda - Equipped himself very well and gave very little away, very quiet but went about it dutifully display 7

Douglas - Gets forward excellently and a great albeit deflected strike for the goal. Gave Russell nothing. 7
Neves - linked well with Doc in particular, putting balls on a six pence. Running out of words for how good he is. Won his fair share of tackles and always on for a pass. I love his ability to make space for himself. 7
Saiss - This is the guy we all hoped for last season, breaks up play, made several good long range passes and kept things ticking over with Neves in the engine room. Lambert didn't have a clue playing him so close to the defence, hard to believe it's the same guy. 7
Doherty - Benefitted from having Weimann as his opponent so he could get forward a lot and put in a couple of decent crosses. 7

Jota - Couple of decent runs and touches in the first half but really came alive in the second half. Unlucky not to score but for a great tackle, an assist and so much more to come from him. 7.5
Bonatini - Industrious, unlucky not to score after we hit the post, came at him a little quick. One half chance opportunity in the first but I'd say he looked isolated at times in the first until we got more forward. 6.5
Bright - What a talent, a great nod to start and repaid Nuno several times over. Derby TV's pundits pre-game listed Bright as one of the foreign influx I don't think they realise[d] he's a youth product. if he keeps this up then he'll be keeping out Cavaleiro on merit which is absurd. 8

Cavaleiro - What an option off the bench! Few useful touches and put away a tap in. 6.5
Dicko - Appalling first touch and just looks woefully out of his depth which I hate to say. He's got nowhere to hide now with a pre season and better players around him. 5
Ronan - tidy and recycled possession as we ran time down 6

Oh dear Channel 5. Calling Jota Neves instead on all our chances.

I mean come on he has a name and number. It's not that hard, even if he does have Silva on the back of his shirt.

Was going to do a match report but I think Lincs has it spot on, I am trying desperately not to get too excited but its really hard as we look quality at the moment. I want to see us play a team we are expected to beat before I fully jump on the promotion bandwagon. I will say this though, we don't look under threat at any time the team comes together in defending and it is very impressive, having a commanding keeper such as Ruddy seems to be really helping.

I have not been Brights biggest fan so far, but today he showed progression he could have had several assists easily and some of his footwork was insane. Nuno clearly has faith in him and its paying off, I hope it continues could be a masterstroke.

Noticeable that Coady plays the last men at the back - needs to guard against the ball over the top of him which has caused problems, but other than that has been fine
His only flaw today was the same thing simple ball over the top caught him ball watching.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

The Championship on Channel 5 got Neves & Jota mixed up, not once... not twice... but THREE times!

Embarrassing!

When and how did we come across Bright in the first place? IIRC he doesn't have any roots or family in the UK at all.

Moved to the UK when he was 14 or 15. Got trials at various clubs and we signed him up.

Gutted to have missed the game being on holiday and it being my biggest game of the year. One of my Derby supporting mates sent me this text:

Chant ringing round pride park, "we're Wolverhampton, we're taking the piss" perfect summary of game

Just seen the highlights. Can only echo what's been said. Bright's flick for Doherty to shoot into the side netting was sublime. He might be the most audacious player I've yet seen for Wolves. I almost expect him to pull out a proper rabona if his season continues like this.

Really stuck for who to get printed on my shirt! First time I've ever fancied having a LB on it. What a great predicament ay :). Thanks for the ratings who gave them

Holy shit that was a beautiful game of football. Only seen the highlights but going from that and other people's views, that is probably one of our most complete performances in the time I've been following. Stunning. Long may it continue. It's hard to see anyone stopping us when we're on form, just need to make sure we're consistent now and the future is rosy!

Must admit I have seriously underestimated just how talented Bright is. In terms of raw skill I would say he is up there with Neves. Imagine if he could get to play the full season as first choice, learn the system and how to play against senior opposition. It could easily be him the big boys are curcling around in a years time. Those little bits of outrageous skill he shows to play himself out of trouble, the confidence to try it and to pull it off almost every time, I have never seen anything like it from a wolves player before.

The best bit of skill yesterday was Willy Boly's cheeky little lob forward to Neves when he was under pressure. Whoever it was who said he wasn't good on the ball *cough* Speirs *cough* couldn't be more wrong.

Spiers torn between Saiss and Doc for MotM on Twitter.

His Edwards verdict:

Unfortunate to not make the squad, supported the team well from the stands. 6

Back