• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Broken Bones in foot

Hereford Wolf

Reaction score
My wife has broken her metatarsal and has another smaller break just underneath. She is now six weeks after her fall. She wears a hospital boot for walking and has iced and kept her foot raised.
She has been in so much pain.
Last week at the fracture clinic they took an X-ray and said things were progressing well and she should come out of her boot in another three weeks and then start gentle walking in flat shoes….slowly.
There seems to be a real lack of advice or help for her. Any physios on here or anybody who has suffered with this?
She would like some reassurance that she will be walking again with no pain quite soon.
Thanks

Not what you want to hear mate but mine took fucking months. Similar story, boot for just over 2 months and then a good couple before I could play football again and even then there was pain. Obviously just day to day walking I'd expect pain free to be achievable lot quicker. I had a terrible habit of getting back on the pitch 20-30% earlier than I should which basically means I've been in pain since I was about 28, one way or another!

Not exactly like what your wife has gone through but my partners brother broke his foot a couple of Christmases ago and then slipped when he was in the boot. He’s now able to walk properly without any pain. It did take around 3-4 months if I remember rightly though.
He did have regular appointments with a physio and hospital and didn’t rush anything which would have helped the recovery.

General rule of thumb with fracture is that the bone will have healed after 6-8 weeks. You can “Play through” any pain after that and won’t do any damage but it might still hurt for a good month or so after. If it’s just walking and not road running or weight lifting then she’ll be fine pretty soon.

Fractured my elbow in 2018 and it still fucking kills today. Whether that’s comparable to a foot I have no idea but the pain the second and third week was absolutely unbearable, and while it took about three months to get back to full use the pain has never gone away completely.

Broke mine at work, when I picked up a pair of Mercedes sprinter van brake discs ( big heavy things) and the bottom of the box gave way, work moaned and said I should have been wearing steel toe caps and I’d have been ok, told them I was, and they missed the toecaps and caught me squarely in the middle of my foot, anyway I was off for 6 weeks, and just over a year later it still hurts occasionally while driving, and hurts a lot more if I cycle a good distance 20-25 miles or so

I got assaulted four years ago and got a broken cheekbone for my trouble, still hurts a bit on a cold day.

Basically there's a chance it'll always be a bit of an issue but there's no need to worry at this stage as there's no way it'd be even near properly healed in that time frame.

Back