• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford 5-3 Wolves:Verdict Thread

Pinning everything on the November fixtures, when we go into December on possibly 4 or 5 points it’ll be too late.

Bit too optimistic I think. Don’t see where we are picking up 3 or 4 points before December.

How thoroughly depressing that was. I always give anyone a decent run but the writing on the wall way clear as day last season. New contract! fucking hell what part of the chance of Europe turning to relegation form last season inspires the owner to do that?

I’ll answer my own question, small time cheap skate twats.

The dissenting voices from Lage onward about the owners are and have been correct all along while I’ve tried to look on the bright side.

THERE ISNT A BRIGHT SIDE!!

I think Wolves need to change from a defensive 5-3-2 to a 3-4-3.

-------CUNHA---LARSEN----HWANG------
RAYAN----GOMES----ANDRE------XXXXX
--------XXXXX---XXXXX--MOSQUERA----
--------------------XXXXX------------------

Replace the XXXX with any player who can play there, as none of them have convinced me. Maybe Pedro Lima on the right, but he is still very young.

Offensive playing style, pressing high and forcing mistakes in the opponent’s ball exit. Try to play all the time in the opponent's half. If they manage to cross the line, the formation will change to a 5-2-3 by pulling back the players from the wings.

I think Wolves play similarly, but they use three midfielders and two forwards. There’s no need for many changes, just pull up to offense one more player.

Been a Wolves fan since the 1950s, through thick and thin. Right now they seem to be content to let their defense protect them and invariably are forced to play catch up football. It ain't working.

I think Wolves need to change from a defensive 5-3-2 to a 3-4-3.

-------CUNHA---LARSEN----HWANG------
RAYAN----GOMES----ANDRE------XXXXX
--------XXXXX---XXXXX--MOSQUERA----
--------------------XXXXX------------------

Replace the XXXX with any player who can play there, as none of them have convinced me. Maybe Pedro Lima on the right, but he is still very young.

Offensive playing style, pressing high and forcing mistakes in the opponent’s ball exit. Try to play all the time in the opponent's half. If they manage to cross the line, the formation will change to a 5-2-3 by pulling back the players from the wings.

I think Wolves play similarly, but they use three midfielders and two forwards. There’s no need for many changes, just pull up to offense one more player.

Are you trolling us? Mosquera? He’s slower than Strand Larsen at the moment. Picking Hwang - tell me you haven’t seen Wolves play this season without telling me you haven’t watched Wolves.

Incidentally it took Dave Jones' 03/04 Wolves 10 games to concede 21 goals.

With a defence of 81 year old Denis Irwin, Pies Butler, Craddock when he was shite and Lee "Bloody Hell Naylor" Naylor in front of Michael Oakes for 9 of the 10 games.
Sheffield United landed the 'record' conceded of 104 last season, and it took them 8 games to hit 21. Good job it's only City at home next!

On a seperate note, we picked up 15 points last season from City, Spurs and Chelsea - if we're writing off those games this season as it seems, where are we making up that shortfall?

This team is heading straight to the Championship. There isn't 3 worse teams than us, certainly not defensively. We can't afford to give O'Neil another 3-4 games, we need some wins in those games. Does anyone genuinely think O'Neil is the best option to get a win against Palace?

Genuinely gobsmacked watching that game and trying to remember we're a top flight team. Brentford looking like they could score every single time the ball got anywhere near our box. Don't think I've ever seen a Wolves team play like this. And not in a good way.

I'm sure these games are great for the neutrals but this bonkers basketball shit has to end, it's bewildering

Last edited:
It's strange that defensively V Liverpool we were (quite) good with Santi and Toti in the middle of the back four.
You would have thought against Brentford with Dawson in, we'd have been fairly solid. No, weirdly we were as bad defensively as I can remember. Shocking.

Oh wow, where to start with whatever this was. We scored 3 which shows how much of a threat we can be and actually how bad Brentford are that a side set up as were actually caused them problems.

I apologised at half time for even thinking of looking at the positives of previous games last week and rightly so after this performance. I said last week i would get someone else in but they need to do it quick or it will be too late this time.

There were positives in the game, i thought Forbs showed he could be a good option, Larsen continues to impress me and in a proper side would be a very good striker. RAN was pretty good again and Cunha didn’t stop trying despite being visibly pissed off from minute one.

Away from the positives which are solely individual performances the negatives were worrying and i’m not sure what the plan was.

• The press in the first half was absolutely baffling with Gomes often ending up as our most forward player and running past Cunha and then Lemina just running forward on that trigger no more than 5/10 yards away leaving Norgaard free in the middle when they built up on the right and Mbuemo free when they did it from their left.
  • The set piece coach!! Genuinely would be ashamed to show my face if that was my job. Like he’s employed to coach how to not defend them properly and our attacking ones are just bog standard balls into a box.
  • Andre off and Hwang on to play a lopsided 442/343. The moment the crowd really started to turn.
  • Somehow Lemina is not able to be taken off. Bang out of form and not sure what he’s supposed to be doing.
  • We’ve now got 4 human sieves to choose from in-between the sticks. Sa looked finished after Brighton but might have to come back in after today. The situation is a mess.
There’s a ton more negatives i think but i can’t get past the press in that first half and our set up at defensive set pieces.

Lastly just on the body language of the players which i thought was pretty interesting. The celebrations for the first 2 goals were very subdued considering they were equalisers in what was a crazy game. Then at the end several players were visibly pissed including Doyle who purposely waited with Dawson to come over last and was clapped but gestured to say how unhappy he was.

Genuinely don’t see how GON carries on from here especially now he’s lost the majority of the away fans. Once that happens it’s very rare you get that back so Jeff and Hobbs need to get cracking now with finding a replacement and they need to give themselves a kick up the arse.

Hopefully we don’t have to wait long because i don’t want to see another performance like that, i can’t take the absolute nonsense tactics. It’s never going to happen but would love some time with GON to go through what the plan was that we didn’t adhere to considering the players kept doing the same things that could only have come from himself or his team. Roll on that picture of the corner flag.

Just read Lemina's post match interview. This pathetic 'Woe is me, I'm so sorry, we're doing everything we can, we deserve better' bullshit needs to stop.

He's directly costing the team time and again this season. How many goals can you chalk up to him now? 6? And even just watching highlights you can pick out 2 occasions from yesterday where he's not putting in 100% effort. If he can't do the basics of just fucking trying hard then he needs to be taken out of the team. Armband or no armband, he's a mess at the moment and needs to sit on the sidelines for an extended period now.

Whoever the next manager is, priority number 1 is to have some structure in midfield - too many times our centre mids are pressing the oppositions full backs/are the furthest forward players.

We are woefully exposed in the middle allowing direct runs at the defense.

Weirdly we manage this tactic without having high running stats as well, so not only are we throwing players forward, we aren't also tracking back.

Priority number 2 is to sort out set pieces. Again there is no defensive structure, zonal marking without attacking space is an, erm, interesting tactic...

On the penalty it’s stupid by Lemina but I’ve never known a ref be more desperate to give penalties against us than Michael Oliver.

Just read Lemina's post match interview. This pathetic 'Woe is me, I'm so sorry, we're doing everything we can, we deserve better' bullshit needs to stop.

He's directly costing the team time and again this season. How many goals can you chalk up to him now? 6? And even just watching highlights you can pick out 2 occasions from yesterday where he's not putting in 100% effort. If he can't do the basics of just fucking trying hard then he needs to be taken out of the team. Armband or no armband, he's a mess at the moment and needs to sit on the sidelines for an extended period now.
Lemina was at fault in some way for the first three Brentford goals. He looks knackered half the time as well. He's trying too hard. I think the captaincy is weighing him down.

Back