• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

One of the few away games where I can say I was there 😂

13 years ago today (apologies for the first abysmal quality video, but it's that weird late 00s/early 10s black hole where stupid clubs like us tried to monetise everything, including highlights, so archive coverage is scant. I've put up one in full quality but it's literally the entire match and I wouldn't bother watching it, it's not THAT good :D ):

13 years ago today (apologies for the first abysmal quality video, but it's that weird late 00s/early 10s black hole where stupid clubs like us tried to monetise everything, including highlights, so archive coverage is scant. I've put up one in full quality but it's literally the entire match and I wouldn't bother watching it, it's not THAT good :D ):

That would explain the dearth of available highlights for the seasons 2009/10 to 2012/13.

For the last few months I've been working on a project where I'm collating as many I can of Wolves match highlights (starting from 1921 and up to this season and beyond). It certainly keeps me busy/occupied during my retirement years.

From 2013/14 it's pretty straight forward but the real challenge is searching and finding games from Wolves past, particularly from the 1980s and before when football coverage was nowhere near the saturation level it is now.

I've been busily cleaning up the videos (where possible) ie correctly formatting the aspect ratios, contrast, brightness and saturation etc etc.

So far I have over 600 matches from the period 1921 to 2008/09 with still quite a bit of work to do to keep me occupied for the next few months.

I'm also collating history and compilation videos including a number of compilations I've created myself - eg goals scored by 70s heroes in Derek Dougan, John Richards and Kenny Hibbitt.

On my desktop I already have a folder and content for each season since 1959/60. The number of matches per season tends to vary from just under 10 per season to 30+ (with the blackhole from 2009/10 to 2012/13 where I've only got around a dozen match highlights in total for 4 seasons).

The ultimate goal is to create a YouTube channel (purely non-monetised as it's a passion project) where Wolves fans can go to a one-stop channel to view match highlights. There's a few channels around which feature Wolves but they're all rather incomplete.

That would explain the dearth of available highlights for the seasons 2009/10 to 2012/13.

For the last few months I've been working on a project where I'm collating as many I can of Wolves match highlights (starting from 1921 and up to this season and beyond). It certainly keeps me busy/occupied during my retirement years.

From 2013/14 it's pretty straight forward but the real challenge is searching and finding games from Wolves past, particularly from the 1980s and before when football coverage was nowhere near the saturation level it is now.

I've been busily cleaning up the videos (where possible) ie correctly formatting the aspect ratios, contrast, brightness and saturation etc etc.

So far I have over 600 matches from the period 1921 to 2008/09 with still quite a bit of work to do to keep me occupied for the next few months.

I'm also collating history and compilation videos including a number of compilations I've created myself - eg goals scored by 70s heroes in Derek Dougan, John Richards and Kenny Hibbitt.

On my desktop I already have a folder and content for each season since 1959/60. The number of matches per season tends to vary from just under 10 per season to 30+ (with the blackhole from 2009/10 to 2012/13 where I've only got around a dozen match highlights in total for 4 seasons).

The ultimate goal is to create a YouTube channel (purely non-monetised as it's a passion project) where Wolves fans can go to a one-stop channel to view match highlights. There's a few channels around which feature Wolves but they're all rather incomplete.
THis sounds amazing. Just out of interest, what is the earliest footage you have?

THis sounds amazing. Just out of interest, what is the earliest footage you have?
The earliest (or oldest) game I have is the 1921 FA Cup Final between Wolves and Spurs (Spurs won 1-0).

Including recent seasons, I anticipate I'll have close to 1,000 games.

Like I said earlier, I'm probably 2-3 months away from when I'll create the YouTube channel. I want to have the games already prepped on my desktop so when I create the channel it's just a case of uploading the videos and adding details and a screenshot for the match (the site Complete Wolves History is an absolute gold-mine of information).

I'll post updates, and, of course when the channel is launched I'll let everyone know.

21 years ago today. Answers on a postcard why Agent Hahnemann tries saving Naylor's free kick with his legs.

We were rotten for the first hour of this, Nicky Forster going off injured changed the tie.

21 years ago today. Answers on a postcard why Agent Hahnemann tries saving Naylor's free kick with his legs.

We were rotten for the first hour of this, Nicky Forster going off injured changed the tie.

Dave Jones didnt help messing with the formation either (433 with Blake Miller and Ndah) and we improved when we went back to what we knew.

You okay? not like you to turn down the opportunity to leave a boot in on DJ ;)

Am I right in thinking Alex Rae scored in the second Leg and wasn’t sure how to celebrate, hilarious.

Agreed, but it's just momentum though, it would have shifted if they score the penalty (which was never a penalty)

Also Warnock had 52 strikers.

With 20 minutes to go though, to be able to relax and enjoy it, that was amazing.

I think we’d have been fine we were pound for pound a better side than them.

It would've crept in though, Sheff Utd had come from 2-0 down in the semi finals v Forest it was a pivotal moment just after half time. I'm glad we didn't have to find out!

Agreed, but it's just momentum though, it would have shifted if they score the penalty (which was never a penalty)

Also Warnock had 52 strikers.

With 20 minutes to go though, to be able to relax and enjoy it, that was amazing.
My recollection was it remained very quiet in the stands until close to 90 minutes when fans accepted that even Wolves couldn’t cock it up from there.

Back