• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Velotard Thread.

I'm guessing you know the walking/cycle path from Safford to Newport along the old railway line? I do the Newport-Shrewsbury route a lot and can't think of any cycle paths, you could probably plot a route along the little lanes.
I’ve run it more times that I can count, never cycled it though :)

Google maps is suggesting some lanes which run parallel to the A5 for the Shrewsbury part, not sure on them though.

1715520517909.png

I’ve run it more times that I can count, never cycled it though :)

Google maps is suggesting some lanes which run parallel to the A5 for the Shrewsbury part, not sure on them though.

View attachment 10365
Those lanes vary, nice enough to cycle on but can be more busy at times than I would prefer to cycle on but you're a lot more experienced cyclist than me.
If you like, map out a route and I'll have a look at the road parts, I often take my motor bike just for a trundle round those areas just for the hell of it.(The joys of retirement).

Those lanes vary, nice enough to cycle on but can be more busy at times than I would prefer to cycle on but you're a lot more experienced cyclist than me.
If you like, map out a route and I'll have a look at the road parts, I often take my motor bike just for a trundle round those areas just for the hell of it.(The joys of retirement).
I’m not an experienced cyclist any more! Used to ride loads but past 3 years or so have really not bothered, when I have I’ve disliked sharing roads with cars.

That was pretty much the route I was thinking. Some grim bits through Wellington but I suppose that can't be helped.
Goes past my daughters front door in Lilleshall (try to avoid shool drop off/pick up times there).
Was thinking about the Green Dragon for your overnight. My lad and his mate pitched their tent and had a meal/pint there when they did the Offas Dyke Path. Last few times I've been past its been all caravans/campers but would think you can still pitch a tent.....sounds like great adventure.

That was pretty much the route I was thinking. Some grim bits through Wellington but I suppose that can't be helped.
Goes past my daughters front door in Lilleshall (try to avoid shool drop off/pick up times there).
Was thinking about the Green Dragon for your overnight. My lad and his mate pitched their tent and had a meal/pint there when they did the Offas Dyke Path. Last few times I've been past its been all caravans/campers but would think you can still pitch a tent.....sounds like great adventure.
Great, thanks very much. Never been the green dragon but looks nice.

Not really sure, thought a day out then a day back sort of thing. It’d be Stafford - Newport - Telford - Shrewsbury - ?

? being somewhere in wales where I could pitch my little tent and has a pub.
I know there's a decent path between Newport and Stafford, but that's about as far as my gravel/off-road knowledge extends, I'm afraid 😬

Ah, perhaps I should have carried on reading before posting 😂😂

Cyclingn8 on YouTube does lots of local vids, he’s done Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury and across wales, he might be worth a watch

Take a look at RideWithGPS.com for a very good free route planning website. You can change the maps to the Outdoor OSM to see loads of bridalways and public footpaths that Google Maps doesn't have.

Back